www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just wondering what disc golfers that live in the midwest do to keep their game up?

Views: 46

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah don't touch the snow with your throwing hand. It will melt and then freeze.
HAHA!!! Exactly.
Yeah just shovel off the teepads and dress warm. Gotta keep the shoulder going for when the snow is gone. If you don't play, you will have wished you had.
Don't forget to take a roll of T.P. Why? Because some parks lock up their bathrooms in winter because they shut off the water to keep the pipes from freezing. I found out the hard way :-{
here in Ohio we keep playing. on occasion we bring a shovel or scrapper to clear off the tee-pads, but the only way to keep your game up is to keep throwing. I believe that if you throw all winter and get used to throwing with more clothes on,then come spring/summer it will only help when all you have on is a t-shirt.
No, no i got that you can play in winter and here in WI we do quite a bit. I am wondering besides the few rounds in frigid weather with tons of clothes and no good footing (its really not as bad as it sounds) what training people use if any? Like open gyms that allow a guy to practice putting or your basement? A net in the garage to throw drives into like for golf?
visit/move to Florida.
I have a basket in the basement and I hung a heavy duty curtain in my basement for driving as well.  The only problem was that when I threw into it, it would sound like someone took a hammer to the duct work... it shook the ceiling and hence the duct work 5 feet away from the drapes.   It did make me feel powerful though.  :-)  Like the time I knocked down a rotten tree with a drive.  I played that up until it was quite a tall tale.  :-)

I love all the comments all very true ecspecially visit or move to Florida. I play all winter long shovel warm cothes hand warmers for sure.

I heard it said you will not forget how to throw a disc if you take the winter off. but while doing so get to the gym and work out. So when you come out in the Spring or Summer you are Healthy and strong and can throw further.

I have always bundled up and used hand warmers in my jacket pockets. I can handle the cold just fine, but this year in Wisconsin we have about 3' of snow on the ground. I went out the other day with the temperature in the teens to try the ribbon technique for locating my disc in the deep snow. It worked, but severely affected the flight. The first two tee pads were shoveled off, but after that it was no mans land. Walking through that much snow wore me out after three holes. This is the first time since I can remember that I couldn't play all winter. I've read many of the posts below and really like the idea of the blanket in the basement to throw drives into. I am very concerned about my game going downhill, since it will be another month before I get back out there. I usually play 18 every day, this snow is killing me.
I live in South Dakota. Yesterday it was 14 below zero.  There is no way, it's just not as exciting and it sometimes even miserable.  Being stuck inside forces me to only be able to THINK about each shot while going through my throwing motion. After a little bit of that, I start actually throwing into a net, blanket etc pretty much working on my release, stance, grip and all that apply to form. SD sucks.
Is it true that bugs and big spiders are EVERYWHERE in Florida? 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968