www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I bought these Burton Snowboarding gloves. They are 100% poly, So not very good for really cold days but they have this sticky vinyl like film on the palm side of the gloves that cover the entire palm. I can grip FLX plastic like a squirrel can grip the tree! Is this legal to use in tournament play? If it is then that's AWESOME, I may have found the perfect glove to wear on the course. If not then what are the restrictions?

For a link to what gloves i am using:
http://www.burton.com/Gear/Default.aspx#/gear/productdetail/mens/gl...

Tags: Gloves, Gripping, Winter

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Gloves are Burton Pipe Gloves
gloves while playing...just say no.
Nothing against the rules about wearing gloves. If you can play effectively enough with them, more power to you. After all, the game is about having fun...and there ain't a whole lot fun in having cold hands.
Gloves ? I have seen ball golf gloves.
You cannot use gloves while throwing.

They aid to your grip and are against rules in tournament play.
PDGA RULE 802.04 Artificial Devices

A. During a round, a player shall not use any artificial device that may assist in making a
throw, except those devices that reduce or control abrasion to the skin (such as gloves, tape,
bandages, gauze, etc.)
and medical items (such as knee and ankle braces, etc.). Items used to prevent slipping on the teeing surface are also allowed. A player is specifically prohibited from using any artificial device that changes the position of the disc in the player's hand or artificially lengthens any of the player's throwing levers (fingers, wrist, arm, shoulder, etc.). The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited. Measuring devices such as a tape measure may be carried and used to determine distances 10 meters and less for the purpose of rules enforcement.

The way I understand this rule is that you CAN wear gloves.
Thanks for the reply Bryce. I love it when someone spouts off such as, "You cannot use gloves while throwing. They aid to your grip and are against rules in tournament play". When in fact, they actually have know idea at all what they are talking about. Pick up a rule book before you tell people things are illeagal. This is why we have so many rules infractions in this game. No one reads the rules, and then they repeat things they "heard from some pro". Likely that person has not read the rules either. Just because they play Pro does not mean they know what they are talking about. Many TD's don't even know the rules very well. Get a PDGA membership and actually read and understand the rule book the give you.

One of my favorites that just came up again a few days ago.
The disc is inside the 10 meters. My friend throws his put and starts to fall forward. He turns this falling forward into "I was picking up my mini". It was obvious he did this because he was falling foward off balance. I call the foot fault on him and he starts whinning "The disc came to rest, it was in the basket before I went forward". Then comes the "I was not falling, I was picking up my mini". There is nothing in the rule about the disc coming to rest. It does not matter if the disc went in the basket or is still rolling down a 500 foot hill. You must show balance behind your lie.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.
WOW! thanks for the replys. I was just wondering because I can get better grip with these gloves then I would if I were throwing with my bare hand in the winter.

Ha Ha I'm excited to use these this winter.

Thanks again!
Trevor I hope that you only warned your friend about the foot fault, and it was within 3 seconds of happening and it was in a group of three or more because it must be agreed that it was in fact a foot fault. You cannot stroke a player on the first offence as stated in the rules. A stance violation must be clearly called within three seconds after the infraction to be
valid. The call may be made by any member of the group or an official. When the call is made by
a member of the group, it must subsequently be confirmed by another member of the group. A
player shall receive a warning for the first violation of a stance rule in the round.
Subsequent violations of a stance rule in the same round shall incur a one-throw penalty.
But you are correct about it having nothing to do with the disc coming to rest, that rule is only applied to removing your marker after your throw.

Trevor Thorp said:
Thanks for the reply Bryce. I love it when someone spouts off such as, "You cannot use gloves while throwing. They aid to your grip and are against rules in tournament play". When in fact, they actually have know idea at all what they are talking about. Pick up a rule book before you tell people things are illeagal. This is why we have so many rules infractions in this game. No one reads the rules, and then they repeat things they "heard from some pro". Likely that person has not read the rules either. Just because they play Pro does not mean they know what they are talking about. Many TD's don't even know the rules very well. Get a PDGA membership and actually read and understand the rule book the give you.

One of my favorites that just came up again a few days ago.
The disc is inside the 10 meters. My friend throws his put and starts to fall forward. He turns this falling forward into "I was picking up my mini". It was obvious he did this because he was falling foward off balance. I call the foot fault on him and he starts whinning "The disc came to rest, it was in the basket before I went forward". Then comes the "I was not falling, I was picking up my mini". There is nothing in the rule about the disc coming to rest. It does not matter if the disc went in the basket or is still rolling down a 500 foot hill. You must show balance behind your lie.

C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full control of balance before advancing toward the hole.
As a minnesota player, we are all used to cold weather play. Of course you need to be wearing gloves up here when it gets down to the negative digits in temperature/wind chill; however to date I have never worn a glove on my right (throwing) hand while taking a shot. I usually have my glove near by so that once I throw I can get that hand back inside the warm glove while waiting for my turn!

As far as the rules go, I would be of the "strict" intrepreation where I would argue that gloves CANNOT be worn because you're not qualifying your use under the given expection. The rule clearly states that gloves can be used for reduction and control of abraision, not anything about keeping your hands warm. However, if called on it, all you have to say is "my cold hands tear apart if I don't wear gloves when throwing" and you are qualified to use them for that exception. I don't see how anyone would call you on it anyways.
Chilly Grip!! My friend gave me a pair and they work really good, down to 30's so far. Not sure where to get 'em and had never seen or heard of 'em before. I was throwing at near full capacity, which is much better than cold/numb fingers can do.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968