www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Story out of Las Vegas http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11395810

You have to wonder if someone threw an accidental stray disc, or just blasted away with no regard?
(Anyone here want to fess up?)

Views: 1382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe disc golf should follow suit. You just won 15000 dollars cash and I've got a bag full of discs and hungry kids to feed... :-) But then again there's no way I'm going to exchange shots with the likes of Avery Jenkins or Nikko Locastro... I'm pretty sure they'd make sure I made this lady look GOOD by the time they were done.
Every Disc Golfer should be aware of their intended flight path , regardless of what may be in the way. I would have gotten her attention and Yelled 4 or heads up , way before I would throw.

I know some folks who just stroll onto a course without looking at posted signs. Posted signs protect the parks course from being in a lawsuit. Sometimes , some folks can't speak or read English though. We need to find a way to handle that issue.

I hope this case works out for the best for all parties involved.
We have all had errant shots that go into unforeseeable territory, which could accidentally hit a person. So it's tough to preach.( And educating on how to throw better..would only cut down on the odds.:-)

On the other hand, error in judgement, of when to throw or not to throw, can be prevented with good instructions in young people en masse, at an early age. The picture above sadly reminded me that the C.O.D.E. Frisbee Lesson Plan absolutely does have many reminders and rules for children to learn in their early pe flying disc classes, that really reduces the chance of hitting others with discs. And it seems that the kids really LIKE to follow all of the golf rules the most.

Can we teach all the kids about the ultimate code of conduct that (IMO) is worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize (if spread around the world sufficiently), that are the PDGA rules? Probably not.. but I do know firsthand that every school in Clark County (where this happened) was given a CODE Frisbee lesson plan.. and the PE teachers use them!

So Doctor Watson, my guess is that the culprit to the above crime, is over 21 years old !
Pedestrians are always an issue. Just last weekend I TD'ed the Orlando Open which has 36 holes in a city park, with many of the holes adjacent to a major walking path. Both this year and last year, the Boy Scouts we having an event at the same time ODGC held the tournament. Foretunately, we had no instances either year, but that was mainly because the participants waited on the few holes that had issues. In addition, I made a point to annouce the pedestrian issues at the players meeting.
It typically comes down to the thrower being smart. I have found that many times when you make the pedestrians aware of whats going on, they are appreciative and even get interested. This happened just two weeks ago when an elderly couple was in the fairway. I explained the situation and then we spent a few minutes talking about disc golf in general and explaining the sport. About an hour later I noticed they had gone to the HQ building and borrowed/bought some discs and were out on the course playing.
That looks nasty! I'm sure that hurt a bit. The article says there was signage, but she claims there wasn't. Regardless of what happens, we should really think about the safety of others. It doesn't take much for any disc with low velocity to hit a part of your body and it not hurt. We should make it to where we put signs near the most populated areas of parks and elsewhere. It doesn't help that vandals rip these signs down or write over them.
There are so many courses in Grand Rapids, MI that suffer from this. At Riverside Park, some smart@#$ decide to paint a cross country trial through the course. Great, not only do we have to be careful of the walkways that are adjacent to many hole, or the fisherman who just happens to think that the sweat spot is right next to the basket, but now I have a herd of skinny runners crossing my fairways. It will only be a matter of 'when' and not 'if'.

What is the worst injury ever? I bet some concussions have occured.

There was an incident, I believe, in Michigan a couple of years ago, if that.  A teenager drowned while squiding for discs. Another incident where a guy fell over a steep cliff, I think in Cali...had to be airlifted out of the quarry or pit.

damn just a day in the park

last year @ Winthrop one spotter was wacked rather hard,fell like a ton of bricks.Stitches required.

It's a shame. I try to watch my throw in busy areas. But, Where my money?

I was almost hit in the back of the head playing at a park in Va Beach. The holes were too close together I was standing on the 9th tee pad getting ready to drive when the guy on 8's tee pad drove...the disc buzzed my hair. He said he yelled fore, but I did not hear him. That could of hurt. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968