www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Story out of Las Vegas http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11395810

You have to wonder if someone threw an accidental stray disc, or just blasted away with no regard?
(Anyone here want to fess up?)

Views: 1493

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

By chance,would that be Bayshore Park? Played that one back in '76-79 when we lived in Va.Bch,Va.I understand that is has changed a bit."Steady" Ed might of been involved designing it,that's what I was told back in the day.

Man you scared me...im a vegas local and i thought this was just recent! This was last year in october. It looks really ugly and nasty none the less and there was signage in the park all over but there could have been more, as well as more respect by others walking around. People generally do not understand and tend not to really care for the most part. They just look and or ignore. Still...People should be very away that hey hard plastic does hurt from being thrown from so far. Then again the golfer itself could have been at fault as they may or may not have said FORE loud enough or show a recognizable body motion of "Heads Up" What I mean by this is Waving your arms in the air 3 time to get attention with the disc in your hand and stuff you know. Anyway...nasty shit i heard about others taking discs to the leg, like this old lady who got really mad and tried to abolish the mountain crest course. The player was at fault there as he dipped off. All she wanted was an appolgy.

Oddly enough it was posted to facebook today that Will Schusterick took a Force to the face for 5 stitches....

I played there today and honestly, some people are just oblivious. on hole 21(back parking lot) there's a family camped out on the rock with their stuff sitting ON the basket.. after yelling "fore" several times, one of our group had to walk to the pin and remove their things and warn them that it's simply not safe to be there when people are playing. they replied asking what we meant. the basket wasn't the clue. so we showed them a driver and explained what was about to happen. to which they replied "can't hurt too bad." 

I am by no means placing blame on the person hit in the reported case, but some people on both sides of the disc are just plain stupid. others are just inconsiderate.

Oddly enough we have old people who think that the middle of the course is the perfect place for a stroll. Not too smart. We do our part to not try and hit people with discs but they want to make themselves a moving target (a slowly moving target at that). Hey I heard there is a ball golf course somewhere where you can take a stroll. Or maybe you might like to go play in the freeway...

In other, more recent news, check out Will Schusterick after a driver to the forehead.  (https://twitter.com/#!/PDGA/status/193716129909313536/photo/1)

Five stitches later and he's alright.  He talks briefly about the incident here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKyj5hWBKGU&feature=plcp&con...

"Ever wondered what would happen if you got hit in the face with a driver from 20' away? Ask Will Schusterick. He ... "

pic.twitter.com/phEdj1RE

There are signs all over that course. That doesn't mean pedestrians can read. At GCC there were signs posted at EVERY entrance and parking lot and people just didn't care.

On another note, here's a disc golf related injury. Related because we were building a course.

Attachments:

Ow!

I feel the pain of these people. I have taken a drive to the face at about 20 ft. It made me stop playing for about 2 years(Thankfully my wife got me a basket for Christmas and that got me back in the game =)). I have a permanent scar on the side of my lip. It happened on a course with a winding path that came back by a launch pad. Luckily I took the hit and not my or my friend's kids. Needless to say I always observe the playing field before driving and I am an advocate of disc golf safety. I have a 9 hole course in walking distance from my house. Most people don't know what a disc golf is and walk right into the fairways, play sports in the fairways or walk their dogs there.

I think signs using pictograms(like a disc hitting someone in the head), signs discussing safety,netting or barriers around winding paths that come near a launch pad, and disc golfers spreading the word to fellow discgolfers about this safety issue may help matters.

"Safety first!"~"Danger" Ehren McGhehey

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968