www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've played disc all my life but never in a tournament.  At 27 with more time to practice and many years of experience under my belt I think I'd like to try out a tournament.  I'm curious what other women have experienced in tournaments....and what guys know about women playing in tournaments. 

Tags: tournament, women

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have seen one major problem with the women in our area.
They all want to play against each other in a tournament but each of them keeps checking the confirmed player list to see if another signed up.
They keep saying "I will sign up as soon as I see her sign up"
meanwhile, the other girls are doing the same thing...waiting to see a woman sign up.
Since nobody takes the first step in signing up...the tournament comes and goes without a womens division.
If you sign up, they will too.
Take the first step.
If they do not get enough women for a division, you are offered a refund, or the chance to play against the Rec or Intermediate division.
But the way to have a large Womens Division is to be the woman to sign up early and let the other girls know there will be someone there for them to compete against!
hey katie we have a few good women playing in tournaments around tulsa. we also have weekly minis tues wed thurs always during summer and plenty of weekend stuff the more people the better. but we really need more women playing you should come out and give some of these girls a run for there money
Disc-O Golf hit the nail on the head. My girlfriend and I talk about these kinds of thing A LOT as we both have rough backgrounds with the opposite sex and a few of the biggest things I've learned are these.

(I would like to preface all this by saying no gender is better than another but that I believe we are built differently)
1. Most generalizations about men are applicable to about 80% of men, women 30-40%
2. Women want to know that other women will be at an event
3. Women want to know that they will know people there and that they are people they're comfortable with
4. Most women want to be a part of an event and feel included
5. Women are less likely to go it alone (please remember my preface and first point) and less likely to go to an event alone or chance being the only one there. Because in truth it might be disappointing or awkward.

There is probably more but like I said I've found most thoughts, statements, or ideas on women are only applicable about 30% of the time.

So Kati I think it would be an admirable thing for you to take a chance and do this. It might not work out but you will have at least have tried where so many others (and I've seen this too) have only said "I'll do it if she does it."
Hey Jordan, this is good to know! I need to investigate some of these local clubs.
Thanks to you and Disc-O-Golf! Its interesting to know that many play the waiting game to see who shows out. Since I'm used to playing with guys it doesn't really concern me how many other women are out there, just that there's enough to make a division I suppose as playing in the regular division would surely cause me disappointment. I tend to have performance anxiety regardless of who's out there and I think this is what has held me back in the past. I think I could overcome that knowing I could possibly be an encouragement to other women....and have a chance at winning money :P
HA! thats awesome
we had a girl win am during a mini last week playing against all guys out at chandler
All good advise, but I think it just comes down to numbers. Even with the increase in people playing. I just haven't seen that on the female side of the sport. I've been to several tournaments over the years and I hate to say this. I'm more suprised when there are enough women to create a womens div. Heck, even our local pro. Has to call all the other female pro's in the area and try to convince them to play and YES! There will be enough women to have a div...
only seen one woman in a tourny in OK, but please do start going to tournys we need more chicks in this sport
awesome
Its a no brainer than folks...I've got to get out there :)
please, save us from this wilderness sausage party :)

I'm done, just done

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968