www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've played disc all my life but never in a tournament.  At 27 with more time to practice and many years of experience under my belt I think I'd like to try out a tournament.  I'm curious what other women have experienced in tournaments....and what guys know about women playing in tournaments. 

Tags: tournament, women

Views: 2

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

come to wisconsin. women are starting to play more and more. It's a good thing to see, especially when they are good enough to kick many of the mens butts
I have seen a strong level of commitment and competition from Women in the Shasta Series and the NorCal Series since I began playing tournaments in 2004. In my experience the players and the Tournament directors always go the extra distance to make ladies welcome and accommodated. UNlike the mens divisions, women can move up to the pro level faster and start reaping the benefits of cash payouts sooner.
Check out this site... http://www.lodga.com/lolo%20info.htm

It's for the LOLO's (Lady's of Live Oak). They do A LOT for local female players... they really try to get girls out on the course. The 2 local clubs (San Antonio Disc Club and Live Oak Disc Golf Alliance) do some hard work to send our ladies to The Texas Womens Championships every year... guys step up from all over Austin and San Antonio to get our locals girls to that tourny.

LOLO's show up to a lot of tourny's and anything big around south Texas... they really are something special.
In San Diego we have a women's division at every tourney, even Fri night doubles brings out a few girls every week. It doesn't hurt that they get two putts inside ten meters.
A couple weeks ago at the Z town throw down there were a total of five women playing. Three Pro masters and two ams. The two ams were on my ticket for the second round. I'd like to think it was enjoyable for all of us as the energy was relaxed and humorous and supportive. I didn't really give it much thought until, one of the Ladies said no one on her first round even spoke to her... That would throw me off. This was only my second tourney, but I have already learned that group dynamics can be a deciding factor in how much fun you have as well as how well you throw. I'd like to see more women in the sport
From what you said in your original post, you need to play in any tournament regardless. If you get the women started or even get thrown in Rec or Intermediate, the experience will only make a you a better golfer. Plus tournaments is where you meet all sorts of new people that share your same passion. Out here in Cali we don't really have this issue. Every once in a while there won't be enough pro women and Kathy Manly will play Advanced men and do real well.
This is what's great about a site like this...we get to see the views from all over the world. It seems like California has dedicated women golfers...and how I would love to live in Northern Cali :) Thank you all for sharing your thoughts.
Most of the tournaments I play up here in AK have females playing (usually 1 or 2). I ALWAYS tell a woman playing disc golf in a tourney and otherwise that it is great to see them playing as we're short on them. Disc-O is correct for a lot of places about woman not signing up, just do it and the rest will follow.

I would to constantly see a womens division every time I play and even start a womans league. The league thing has been difficult to get started, but I think if we can get one started that will be one huge step in getting more to show up to tourneys. In small communities I think it is easier to get more to sign up if a lot of them know each other and play together.
I play at least one tourney a month n the summertime just for a chance to see my DG besties. I've never been much of a girl's girl, but there are about a half dozen in the wichita and surrounding area who play regular, i.e. leagues and tournfeys. we even have a travelling league that meets about once a month. I learned to play in Tulsa and saw a few women around. come up to Kansas and play in Winfield, Wellington or Wichita! we are always recruiting for the FDL (Friz diva league. Come to the FRIZZZZZZZ!!!
Nice glad to see your input Spiderwoman :) The FRIZZZZ sounds fabulous! If I'm ever headed to KS I'll be sure and check you all out!
I've had the privelege to watch the local ladies competition grow for the last 10 years. It used to be I was the only girl at tournaments, but there was never a time when I was forced to compete against the guys. Now, there's always other women at the tournies I go to- usually, even more than 1 ladies division!

I've never been 1 to wait to see who else is signed up; that's an especially bad idea with the way tournaments have been filling up lately. Go ahead & get your game on, girl. Have fun!
GO DUH!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968