www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

My wife started playing at the beginning of this year and has improved her mechanics tremendously since then. She basically throws a buzzz for the majority of her drives and upshots. I would like to start finding her some good distance drivers for her bag. Can any women or men who play with women give me some advice on which discs to buy for her and what weight? I would say she can throw her buzzz a good 200 ft. sometimes more.

Views: 19

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, now I'm confused. I have a pink Discraft Glide that says "Long Range Driver", but when I searched online the Glide is coming up as a midrange driver. Perhaps mine is an old model?? I have no idea, but I love my disc regardless.
It prob was once considered a long range driver (like old gazelles say ultra long range distance driver, or some crap like that) but now with much faster discs out there its been bumped down to mid range......I'd recomend 150 surges and avenger ss's they go for days with little effort
The X 150 Class Surge is the most forgiving driver I have. It starts out a hair over-stable then beats in to an awesome straight/anny/hyzer flip driver.

The 150 Class Avenger is a great slightly over-stable driver that is controllable enough in that weight to make it a great disc for S shots as well. Another favorite very much like a slightly slower Valkyrie is the Slipstream GT (if you can find one). I throw it in a 164.

My Innova go-to's are the Leopard for fairway/starter driver, Valkyrie for slower max distance driver, and 150 Class Monarch for wide open max distance drives with minimal fade.
If she likes the Buzzz it might be wise to get her a slightly lighter stalker and Z glide. Also if she can throw a thumber at all get her a 150 class flick.

Also might want to try an Avenger SS or a Stratus
Disc manufacturers design discs for men. Rightly so, since disc golf appears to be a male-dominated sport. Just an observation.

Since women are generally smaller, I feel that we should throw small diameter discs, with rims that are not too wide, and lower weights. We don't get as much arm speed, or spin on the discs, so we don't need those "overstable" discs as much. I started playing with my husbands old Valkyries and Leopards, and still use them today. I also liked the Avenger SS. These drivers fly pretty straight, and don't just cut left into the ground like most of the others. I use a new 175g Champion Valk into a headwind. All my other drivers are under 160g, mostly DX plastic.

I used to throw the Buzzz, but I think it has too large of a diameter for me to get enough spin, so I now use a Classic Roc for middle throws, and an XD for short shots and putts. The XD has a lower profile than an Aviar, and fits my hand best.
Thanks for all the information. I've got some ideas for Christmas now!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968