www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am a new PDGA member and I was wondering if someone could give me a brief sum-up of how the rating system works. As of now, all I know is that the only times ratings are affected is during a sanctioned tourney. So far I've played in one sanctioned event (March 14th) but I can't seem to figure out how to find my rating. Any help would be great.

Views: 57

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Basically for every 10 points higher your rating, that's 1 stroke better you're supposed to be compared to someone else on an 18-hole round of a tournament. So a 1000 rated player is expected to beat a 900 rated player by 10 strokes in 1 18 hole tournament round. Ratings are affected by sanctioned events only, and it's based on how you do compared to everyone else (and what they are rated) each round. Check www.pdga.com and click on events/calendar. If the scores have been up for awhile you should see a link to click that says show round ratings.
Formula is basically.

All properly reported PDGA events for the past 12 months are included in a player’s ratings calculation. If you have less than 8 rounds of data, the program will go back as far as 24 months until it either finds 8 total rounds, or it will select all your rounds if less than 8. All members should receive a rating even if they only have one round of information in the database. Almost all of your rounds are counted, but those more than 2.5 standard deviations below your average are dropped (about 1 in 50). Your most recent 25% (1/4) of your rounds will be double weighted in the calculation so your current performance is slightly more important. If you do not complete a round (indicated in event scores as DNF or 999), it is not included in your ratings round count.
You should be 827ish
On their website the PDGA lists the next official ratings update as tomorrow, 3/23/2010. If you have played any official rounds since the previous update at the beginning of the year, then your rating should change accordingly. In addition to what others have already posted here, you will find plenty of info on the PDGA website about how ratings work--especially the FAQ section.

I too am a new PDGA member and I'm eagerly awaiting to see my first rating. Hopefully tomorrow...
Only 2010 events reported to the PDGA by March 12th will make it in this ratings update. We are doing eight ratings updates this year. Ratings are scheduled to be updated on March 23rd, May 4th, June 22nd, July 20th, August 31st, October 19th, and December 14th with the 2010 yearend update on January 25th, 2011.
Thanks for all the great replies guy, they really helped.
I too am new to the PDGA. I found the PDGA ratings guide helpful in answering this question. Here's an excerpt from the guide.

The first calculation is to determine the Scratch Scoring Average (SSA) for each round. That score is what a scratch world class player with a rating of 1000 would be expected to average on that course. For example, let us say that SSA is calculated to be exactly 50 for an 18-hole course. Any player who shot a 50 that round would receive a rating of 1000 for that round. Each throw is worth about 10 rating points for courses with this level of difficulty. So, if you shot a 60, your rating for that round would be 900 because you were 10 throws worse than scratch times 10 points per throw.

You can figure out your own rating by going to the PDGA website. Under the PDGA Tour button click on Event Schedule & Results. Find the event that you were in and click on the gold trophy. When the results come up click on Show Round Ratings. Add your round ratings together then divide that total by the number of rounds played. This is the easy way to do it cause the PDGA has already figured in the SSA of the course.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968