www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Well today was one of those days that made me realize that some things are just plain stupid and have no place in league. Today that thing was 3 holes of worst shot in random doubles. And I'll tell you why...

I was feeling it today and so I was pretty in tune with my shot. I love doubles because you can be aggressive and go for it. Anyway I think that we might have bogeyed the first. We stepped up to hole #2 and my brain is trying to grasp this whole concept of dumbing down my game. I decided to not let that get to me until my second shot on #2. I had thrown a decent shot up the gut, but because of my partner we ended up on top of a plateau to the right which is actually #1s fairway and we were also close to the basket for #18. My partner stepped up and shanked into the trees. I stepped up, threw my Champion Banshee at the proper angle, went straight, banked left down the hill and dead center. Guess what? We are playing worst shot so that was just wasted. There was no point in me hitting that shot and in fact we bogeyed. This is random doubles and I'm being penalized for making a great shot. BS I say.

That is the last time I will play said format. I didn't pick my partner, but I am being penalized by randomly having him as a partner. His bad shot counts more than my good shot. He is a friend and I don't have any problem playing with him in doubles. But why was his shank worth more than my great shot. Doesn't make sense.

I thought about this and there is only one way to correct this problem. First I will say right now that I will not play another round of random doubles when worst shot is involved. It amplifies any inequalities greatly. Last time I had a guy that was so bad we went OB on every hole. I had no reason to even throw. Stop the insanity! The solution is to say that everything in the basket stays in the basket. You never take anything out so a made basket is a made basket and you are still rewarded for good play. The problem that I have with this whole thing is that it was not announced before money was taken. I was expecting regular doubles, nothing funny so that I may be aggressive. That was taken away from me and I had no say in it. I came to play random doubles.

You just can't take that shot away from me. It's mine and I'd like to see anyone do better.

Mad Dog signing out...

Views: 21

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I have no problem with any of you playing worst shot random draw doubles if that is your choice. The point is that we don't play like that and to introduce it at the last minute is wrong. I don't need a practice round when I'm playing for money. Maybe for some of you who play tourneys for a living you think that playing for a few bucks in league (winner takes home maybe $30) is no big deal. But I work hard on my game and the day before I played somewhat poorly. The next day I didn't take any practice shots or anything because I just felt that I would have a better day. I did start playing better only to be penalized for doing so. It would be nice if you just look at the logic of the situation. Does this really encourage anyone to play better. I am saying no. And other people were not happy about doing it either. So one person who doesn't even run league decides to do what he wants. This is simply not encouraging new disc golfers or doing anything positive for the sport. If they tried to force people in ball golf to play worst shot there would be an uproar. But yet we always claim that we are trying to grow the sport. If we are trying to grow the sport then lets do things that make sense.
jim(maddog) you sound very defensive. will it make you happy if i agree that you should have known before paying your $5
at first it did seem (read your own post) that you didn't think it was fair that you got penalized because your partner threw bad shots. that made you sound like a jerk. and now your calling everyone haters for calling you out on it. by the way congrats on your field ace. it still sounds like a great shot even if it didn't count.
Just trying to put this out there because yesterday I realized that it didn't really matter what I did during the round because the format dictated that I not try. My partner is a friend and I have nothing against him. He had already thrown a bad shot so because of the format the best that I could do by the worst shot rule was throw an equally bad shot. Do this make any sense except in Bizarro world? I may come off a little defensive because I'm trying to make a point and people are telling me to "man up", stop whining, butchered my name, etc. Yet nobody has said that they would have gone for that shot. If playing to win or playing to do well is a bad thing then I simply want no part of that. Not trying to sound defensive just defending my position. There is a difference.
I understand, and i do think worst shot is only good for mutiple round tournys that you BYOP and have dif formats each round somethin like round 1 best shot round 2 worst shot round 3 666 and round 4 alt shot i do like tough shot more than worst shot. p.s. i dont think the world is against you.
in rounds of tough or worst shot the weekest thrower should throw first and the stronger player should attempt to put their disc as close to the first disc as possible without being worse .
that is the challenge for the stronger player.
when ive played those formats my partner and i are happy with coming out with par or bogey,that being said we dont turn away from the birdies either.
the team that doesnt get hot under the collar will probably come out of those portions better than those teams that do.
alternate shot doubles can be burdonsome as well but the best way to look at that format is oops maybe i can recover from here.
then if i oops then laughingly say paybacks suck dont they partner.
double can be the funnest rounds of golf played if people realize they are just playing .
I've just been thinking about his whole post and I now realize that I was pretty angry about the whole thing and that tomorrow is a new day and life goes on. I may have let a bit of my anger into my posts, but I will definitely stand behind what I have said. Here is the thing. I am a fierce competitor and league offers a way to get out and compete against other local players. Doubles should give you an advantage of sorts because the worst that you can do is what you normally do, but you can do better if paired with the right person. When you play worst shot that advantage is taken away and it can actually go the other way. Not counting that shot was like a two stroke penalty and in doubles that is a killer. It was a two stroke penalty because from where his second shot was we had no way to even get a three. I had scored a two for us but it didn't count. My anger is not with my partner, it is with the way worst shot makes you play. As Brad said your best strategy is to put your disc as close to your partners as possible. But that takes away any aggressive play and penalizes me for my partner. In best shot I am not penalized for my partners shot, only any bad throws that I have. If we would have played tough shot I would have been fine with that because I would not have been penalized. I will step up and run league next week and I think that nobody is going to call that again. No one was very happy about it at all. Doubles gives you the chance to compete against two great players even if there is only one great player in your group. That is the beauty of it. Enough said.
Im down for kumbaya.
I am as competitive as the next guy or even probably more, but you have to keep going and not get so worked up. So let's say that all other groups scored the same as you for the three holes of worst shot. That easily could've happened. Maybe next time you both Ace. Playing doubles is not always going to get you a better score. Laying up for a few holes shouldn't be that big of a deal. Neither should a couple strokes that only happens once a year... Those do seem like some crazy leagues out West :) It also seems like when you holed out it should have counted. Keep Hukkin!
Do you also have a problem when your shot doesn't "count" in best shot?
Worst shot is a great but frustrating format. The first time I was exposed to it was in my first year of playing. I traveled to Round Rock, Texas to play National Doubles with my fellow rookie partner, Darren Harper. The day before the real tournament, TD John Houck, ran a one round event known as the World Championships of Worst Shot. Not only had I never played that format, I also had never experienced the crazy winds that plague Round Rock. The combination was truly ugly. My partner was much better than I and had the ability to throw straight, flat shots. I could not. So I turned 30 foot putts into 100 foot rollaway comebacks. Repeatedly. I shanked into the thickest thickets in Texas (those lovely mesquite bushes). I had no idea how to control a disc in the screaming wind. My partner was totally disgusted with me (he was nice enough not to rub it in until later). I was totally disgusted with me. It was a needed but cruel lesson.

Not every format is good for every group. The harder the format, the more the quality of the players needs to be relatively equal. I'm not saying the players need to be good, merely evenly matched. Most random draw doubles leagues have a wide disparity of talent, from Pros to raw beginners. So Worst Shot, although exciting, can be expected to create the sort of upset we see from Jim Coonradt. The odds are that Jim's partner felt worse than he did.

A milder format which still puts pressure on both partners would be the requirement that the team use a given number of drives from each partner. So, for example, each team must use at least 6 drives from each partner during the round. This would prevent teams from relying only on the stronger partner without the degree of punishment extracted by Worst Shot.

Even Best Shot puts pressure on the team, just in a different way. In Best Shot, on most courses, the rule is Deuce or Die. Par on anything except very difficult holes is the equivalent of a bogey: you lose a stroke to the field. So the pressure on putting is substantial. In a good sized field of players, you know some team(s) will get hot, so the issue is how many holes you miss the birdie on.
It's "wrong" to play a format and then cry like a baby afterwards about how you got screwed by the format. If you had just stated that you don't like the format, that'd be something else. You're a whiner. Nobody likes whiners. Whiners are not competitive, they are whiny.
Do you see how this is then not a very good format for league. When you are playing random doubles the worst that you should do is what you would normally shoot. In worst shot that changes. When you add a partner who generally does not throw very well (he is still a friend) it can take away quite a bit from your score. We only played 3 holes of it yet that was a 2 stroke swing on one hole. That is a big momentum killer and almost impossible to recover from in league. The only thing that those three hole of worst shot did is guarantee that the rest of us would have no shot at coming in first place. In fact, it was two good pro players that won. That is not unusual, but doubles does give the rest of us a better chance. Adding in worst shot gives us less of a chance, that is it amplifies inequalities. All momentum for me was stripped away at the moment that my great shot was "taken away" because of a silly rule. Who knows how we could have shot with that boost. That was a one in a million shot for me, but it meant absolutely nothing and to me that makes absolutely no sense in a format where you are trying to do your best. After my partners second shot the best that we could do was bogey. My shots didn't matter at all. Playing worst shot removed for me any reason to try at all because if I did try I would be penalized for it. On the other hand, if we were playing tough shot it would have counted.

It is easy for others to say that you should just keep going, maybe you'll ace the next hole, etc. but in reality we all know about momentum and how it feels when you hit that crazy shot for the unexpected birdie. Saying such things just doesn't fit reality. It sounds good yet we all know what it's like to experience such things and there is nothing good to be said about it.

Yesterday my anger started to subside from the whole situation, but I have simply decided that if it gets called again I will politely ask for cash back because I am there to play my best and test myself against other local players. The doubles format gives me a great chance because I can pretty much go for it on every shot. Worst shot on the other hand puts my brain into stupid world. My whole problem is that if we examine worst shot we realize that it brings up situations that simply don't make sense (such as my situation). Playing it in a BYOP tourney is one thing, but I see no place for it in random draw doubles. Tough shot, on the other hand, does challenge a person and still rewards good shots. Since when do we want to stop rewarding good shots in this sport. If we do so we are proving nothing and it is awful hard to be taken any more seriously than beer pong.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968