www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Well today was one of those days that made me realize that some things are just plain stupid and have no place in league. Today that thing was 3 holes of worst shot in random doubles. And I'll tell you why...

I was feeling it today and so I was pretty in tune with my shot. I love doubles because you can be aggressive and go for it. Anyway I think that we might have bogeyed the first. We stepped up to hole #2 and my brain is trying to grasp this whole concept of dumbing down my game. I decided to not let that get to me until my second shot on #2. I had thrown a decent shot up the gut, but because of my partner we ended up on top of a plateau to the right which is actually #1s fairway and we were also close to the basket for #18. My partner stepped up and shanked into the trees. I stepped up, threw my Champion Banshee at the proper angle, went straight, banked left down the hill and dead center. Guess what? We are playing worst shot so that was just wasted. There was no point in me hitting that shot and in fact we bogeyed. This is random doubles and I'm being penalized for making a great shot. BS I say.

That is the last time I will play said format. I didn't pick my partner, but I am being penalized by randomly having him as a partner. His bad shot counts more than my good shot. He is a friend and I don't have any problem playing with him in doubles. But why was his shank worth more than my great shot. Doesn't make sense.

I thought about this and there is only one way to correct this problem. First I will say right now that I will not play another round of random doubles when worst shot is involved. It amplifies any inequalities greatly. Last time I had a guy that was so bad we went OB on every hole. I had no reason to even throw. Stop the insanity! The solution is to say that everything in the basket stays in the basket. You never take anything out so a made basket is a made basket and you are still rewarded for good play. The problem that I have with this whole thing is that it was not announced before money was taken. I was expecting regular doubles, nothing funny so that I may be aggressive. That was taken away from me and I had no say in it. I came to play random doubles.

You just can't take that shot away from me. It's mine and I'd like to see anyone do better.

Mad Dog signing out...

Views: 29

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

man I do get that random draw is a bad format for worst shot. but i dont think worst shot is a bad format we have played wear both putts have to be made or it dosnt count. the thing that sticks out in my mind is how much the round would suck for the person that wasn't as good to have a partner not happy to play with them. it does suck to not have your bird count but did you loose by 1 shot if not i don't see why it would matter you still made the shot isn't that what counts.
Once again not the point. After that I had to check my brain on every shot because I was fighting my instincts. I was happy to play with my partner because I know the guy and he is alright. It is simply that playing worst shot without letting all made discs stay in seems counterproductive and it takes logic and dumps it on its head. Are we here to make shots or miss them on purpose. That is the question that nobody seems willing to answer. Answer that question honestly and you get my point. It's not about the partner or losing by one stroke. It's about playing disc golf to make shots!
Playing the worst shot sounds like something that would be done only for fun among friends--you have to like someone a lot to do that IMO. It's definitely not suited for any type of competitive scenario.
I think the format wasn't annouced till after the partners were chosen as well??? ...it's hard to follow the timeline...but anyway...I wouldn't have played knowing the format would have worst shot included in a random draw situation.
Tough Shot may be a better option for a random draw event.

Tough Shot is played similar to Worst Shot, with the following variation. Once a player on the team has holed out, the team has completed the hole. In other words, unlike Worst Shot where both players must hole out from the same lie, only one of the player’s on the team needs to hole out to complete the hole in Tough Shot format.
Thank you. Where are all of the supporters who are out there and agree? It might be suited to tourney play but in that case you chose your partner. Stop just repeating status quo because someone made you do it and therefore if you had to do it then everybody should do it as well. If you tell me ahead of time that you are going to do it then I have the option of showing up or not. If I play a casual round then it counts. I just want to compete a little.
I'm with Jim on this one. I can see playing worst shot dubs during casual play just for fun and shiggles, but when you're paying money (even if it's just $5.00), stay with the best shot format. I mean, you might as well play Ript Revenge random dubs. I know it's all about having fun, but we are a pretty competitive bunch of people, and worst shot format takes the competition out of it. Just my $0.02.
Yeah, that's it. When I brought this up to a local pro who has a lot of talent that is exactly what he said, that it should have been tough shot. That makes sense.
for real, its all a game so just chill....you love the sport right?? so stop complaining and have a good time .......
Tell me more about this Pingo Pong will ya Tino. We play that format (666) but only on Wed night draw dubs, and we rotate it in with singles, best shot dubs, regular skins, wolf skins, and whatever else we think of.
But you guys don't use the worst shot format every week do you, or even every other week?
No, in the past three years it has been only called maybe twice. On both occasions I was wasting my time. As I said the first time it happened to me we had to play nine holes of it and I had a guy who threw everything OB. Not much point in me even throwing when that happens.

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968