www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Well today was one of those days that made me realize that some things are just plain stupid and have no place in league. Today that thing was 3 holes of worst shot in random doubles. And I'll tell you why...

I was feeling it today and so I was pretty in tune with my shot. I love doubles because you can be aggressive and go for it. Anyway I think that we might have bogeyed the first. We stepped up to hole #2 and my brain is trying to grasp this whole concept of dumbing down my game. I decided to not let that get to me until my second shot on #2. I had thrown a decent shot up the gut, but because of my partner we ended up on top of a plateau to the right which is actually #1s fairway and we were also close to the basket for #18. My partner stepped up and shanked into the trees. I stepped up, threw my Champion Banshee at the proper angle, went straight, banked left down the hill and dead center. Guess what? We are playing worst shot so that was just wasted. There was no point in me hitting that shot and in fact we bogeyed. This is random doubles and I'm being penalized for making a great shot. BS I say.

That is the last time I will play said format. I didn't pick my partner, but I am being penalized by randomly having him as a partner. His bad shot counts more than my good shot. He is a friend and I don't have any problem playing with him in doubles. But why was his shank worth more than my great shot. Doesn't make sense.

I thought about this and there is only one way to correct this problem. First I will say right now that I will not play another round of random doubles when worst shot is involved. It amplifies any inequalities greatly. Last time I had a guy that was so bad we went OB on every hole. I had no reason to even throw. Stop the insanity! The solution is to say that everything in the basket stays in the basket. You never take anything out so a made basket is a made basket and you are still rewarded for good play. The problem that I have with this whole thing is that it was not announced before money was taken. I was expecting regular doubles, nothing funny so that I may be aggressive. That was taken away from me and I had no say in it. I came to play random doubles.

You just can't take that shot away from me. It's mine and I'd like to see anyone do better.

Mad Dog signing out...

Views: 24

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Jim I dont know if you are looking for someone to hug you and tell you everything is going to be alright and yes it was a really great shot that you made, or maybe we should all sit around a campfire and have a pity party for you and you can rant and rave about "that one shot I made didnt count" boo hoo. I believe you are missing the point of random draw doubles. Its not a business, if you want to make a business out of it then play tournys and win, thats the only way to make money, doubles is for fun, for people to get off work and forget about life for awhile while enjoying and growing the great game of disc golf. Pro/am random draw doubles is to get the newbies to come out and play with a pro or someone better than themselves and see how the game is played and for them to learn something. From the sounds of it you only played worst shot for 3 holes, correct me if I am wrong but wouldn't that make you try harder and play more "aggressive" on the other holes because you know those are coming up, so you need to bank the strokes possibly? It adds a different dynamic to the game Jim, deal with it, rise up and handle it like a man. Now the announcing it after taking the money maybe that can be handled differently, but all this whining is sickening, I am not insulting you or calling you out but for god sakes if you cant reach it then have your buddy reach in and pull your head out of your ***. A true professional and an ambassador of the sport would laugh it off and maybe help the young guy out. Maybe just tell him to try and throw one safe right down the middle so we can get through these holes. I mean heaven forbid you help him out and try and encourage him a little bit, because I am sure you learned the game all on your own and nobody ever got frustrated with you when you first began.

Just my 2 cents
Thanks for the laugh Brandon...post of the week!
Wow. Just wow. Are you really that fragile?
Consider worst shot doubles as practice doubles. It does no good you get to discount a bad shot. In the future when you are in an uncompromising situation (disc golf wise) you might not stress that much. On the flip-side, everyone sucked at some or another including your-self. Give people a break and keep the sport alive. We need new players in the sport or the sport will die. The great cannot all be like Peter Shive or John Bird; we need new blood. So, Why not give lessons?
What are the odds that Jim Coonrant (not a misspelling) pulls/deletes this thread? 10%-30%-50%-70%-90%? Get over it Jim...
I would encourage it
One thing about worst shot doubles is it teaches you patience and adaptability. It would be nice to know ahead of time , so you know going into it !!!
This format you describe already exists and it is called TOUGH SHOT.

Tough Shot is played similar to Worst Shot, with the following variation. Once a player on the team has holed out, the team has completed the hole. In other words, unlike Worst Shot where both players must hole out from the same lie, only one of the player’s on the team needs to hole out to complete the hole in Tough Shot format.
Well,guess I'm part of the staus quo.Check your friend rule
I don't buy it. If you would have made the shot you would have said the same thing. How is it fun to not try and if you do try to be then penalized. I am just posting this because I think that there is a time and place for everything and random draw doubles is not the place for worst shot. I am not whining. If you go somewhere everyday and somebody punches you in the mouth and everybody says "hey we punch you in the mouth for fun", does that somehow justify it. And when you say that getting punched in the mouth is wrong I then call you a whiner. Give it up. What would you do? Are you going to take that shot or not. At best you can only do as good as your partners bad shot. What is the point? Am I here to play disc golf or is this just a joke. I am simply saying that I will not participate in something so stupid.

Said it before and you all know that it's true:

Worst shot is dumbing down your game.

By the way this guy is not a newbie. He plays all of the time and this is not about him at all. i don't think that he liked it either.
Yeah, I'm fragile that's why I posted this. All a bunch of so called disc golfers, but really nothing more than a bunch of close minded haters. Get over yourselves and your so called love of the game because I just don't see it. I simply have a passion for the game and believe that you should be rewarded not penalized for good play. Since when is that wrong.
God help us if we try to be competitive. That's just not right. If we try and compete and are rewarded for good play then the sport will die. Read what I said. It's not about my partner or anything. It's about rewarding people for bad play and penalizing people for good play. If that's what this sport is about then you can have it.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968