www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey y'all. Dave Engle (I believe) posted awhile back about the benefits of using resistance bands as a training tool for Disc Golf. I jumped on the bandwagon and REALLY started seeing improvements in my distance and smoothness in my throws. I thought it may be coincidence until a bashed my hand 2 weeks ago and didn't play OR use the resistance bands in that time. When I went to play a couple days ago, my distance was degraded once again. I took my Prototype resistance band trainer thingy out and got back on it. Went out to the field today and did 50 reps both arm on the bands before I started throwing. The bands REALLY do something to my throwing muscle groups that gets my arm working SO MUCH BETTER.... This is all my opinion. I have not researched it or anything, but my experience with the bands has got me thinking.

I started looking for a Disc Golf resistance band training tool that lets you replicate a throw WITH RESISTANCE. There have been 2 that I can find on the internet. The SnapBand is no longer made and ran about $30 + shipping. The IsoThrow runs about $40 + shipping. The thing I liked about the IsoThrow was the ability to use ANY disc to do your exercises, BUT, it is also $40 AND one disc will get you the same Motions. I have been using wider rimmed drivers that really give my hand a workout so my grip becomes stronger. Also, I think a BIG reason these things have NOT become more popular is that disc golfers are generally not gonna go out and spend $40 on something like this, IMO. 

Anyway, I think the concept is GREAT and VERY beneficial. So, I have been working on a prototype Disc Golf resistance trainer that is great quality, BUT very inexpensive. I have one built that I have been using for awhile and it is holding up great. I will change a couple little things if I start making them regularly, but I think I have figured out how to make it for fairly well under $20 easy. 

WOULD Y'ALL BE INTERESTED IN TESTING, OR PURCHASING SOMETHING LIKE THIS???? Please give me some feedback. I want to order the correct, higher quality supplies, but I don't want to order bulk if it looks like no one would even be interested in it. PLEASE POST if you have any Questions! Thanks Everyone.

Jeff

Views: 894

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just use the free arm pulley at my gym. I can see a niche market for this if you can keep it cheaper. I would test one for you if you want. It would be cool if you would do a shorter one for mids and a longer one to replicate taking drives with steps and everything.

Email me if you want bcorn13@hotmail.com

Awesome! I may take you up on that Corndawg.

I actually did try making a Longer one to incorporate and X-Step, run up, etc. The problem soon appeared in the form of that Sticky rubber tubing. It clings to your clothes, skin, everything pretty much. I made one with long enough band for me to x step and as the band came quickly across my chest, I damn near lost a Nipple. It sucked. Hard to not get the longer band to stick to you and clothes. 

THANK YOU for the recommendation. MUCH Appreciated. :)

I don't think that you need to worry about doing the X-step along with the resistance. The resistance alone should develop the right muscles and get a person toned up. I think that it is a great idea.

sounds like you could sell nipple pads too then!

I think you do because a good distance throw comes from reaching your throwing arm way back and unwinding smoothly and following through. You just cant simulate that by standing there.
when I use the free pulley at the gym I stand a good but away and twist my hips then pull through to replicate a DG throw

I'll vouch for this ;) lolz. 

And yeah, it was me.  Hope this works! I'd buy one!

"when I use the free pulley at the gym I stand a good but away and twist my hips then pull through to replicate a DG throw"

I figured out through playing with this thing that if the bands are the right length to where you can Really stretch them out a bit, I can get the same type of motion you are talking about Corndawg. I make SURE to rotate my upper body as well as my hips while doing the exercise and I can really tell this is something I wasn't doing before. I think this is where I actually picked up some distance.

See what you've done Dave! Lol.

In all seriousness, the resistance band WORKS!!! Ever wonder how that 5'6", 140 LB guy throws it farther than you? It's not brute strength, its a little flexibility and the alot of "SNAP!"

For those of you that have ever seen a truly "big arm" player throw, that sound the disc makes as it rips out of their hand is what I'm referring to. I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but when you finally do get to the point where your drives are making that sound, its an amazing, exhilarating feeling! And the only way I've ever been able to produce it is after using a resistance band before throwing.

You're on to something here, Jeff.  I hope it goes well for you! 

The pic looks good Jeff, I like the doubled band, so far I've been using mine the way Dave had shown in his post, looping the handle around my disc with just the single band. Its been working pretty well, I think I've added probaly 30 feet or so of distance, but it looks like with the doubled up band I'd get twice the resistance. Good plan! and Good luck! (now i'll have to go home and drill holes in my disc )

Thanks Jeff! I really DID NOT want to drill discs, but that was the LEAST expensive option. Build a harness to slip a disc into would cost A LOT, plus I don't have the equipment, or know how to do that. If you DO drill a disc to make one yourself, I really suggest using 7/16ths I.D. Grommets and a Flat washer. Makes the disc much stronger at the points where the holes were made!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968