www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey y'all. Dave Engle (I believe) posted awhile back about the benefits of using resistance bands as a training tool for Disc Golf. I jumped on the bandwagon and REALLY started seeing improvements in my distance and smoothness in my throws. I thought it may be coincidence until a bashed my hand 2 weeks ago and didn't play OR use the resistance bands in that time. When I went to play a couple days ago, my distance was degraded once again. I took my Prototype resistance band trainer thingy out and got back on it. Went out to the field today and did 50 reps both arm on the bands before I started throwing. The bands REALLY do something to my throwing muscle groups that gets my arm working SO MUCH BETTER.... This is all my opinion. I have not researched it or anything, but my experience with the bands has got me thinking.

I started looking for a Disc Golf resistance band training tool that lets you replicate a throw WITH RESISTANCE. There have been 2 that I can find on the internet. The SnapBand is no longer made and ran about $30 + shipping. The IsoThrow runs about $40 + shipping. The thing I liked about the IsoThrow was the ability to use ANY disc to do your exercises, BUT, it is also $40 AND one disc will get you the same Motions. I have been using wider rimmed drivers that really give my hand a workout so my grip becomes stronger. Also, I think a BIG reason these things have NOT become more popular is that disc golfers are generally not gonna go out and spend $40 on something like this, IMO. 

Anyway, I think the concept is GREAT and VERY beneficial. So, I have been working on a prototype Disc Golf resistance trainer that is great quality, BUT very inexpensive. I have one built that I have been using for awhile and it is holding up great. I will change a couple little things if I start making them regularly, but I think I have figured out how to make it for fairly well under $20 easy. 

WOULD Y'ALL BE INTERESTED IN TESTING, OR PURCHASING SOMETHING LIKE THIS???? Please give me some feedback. I want to order the correct, higher quality supplies, but I don't want to order bulk if it looks like no one would even be interested in it. PLEASE POST if you have any Questions! Thanks Everyone.

Jeff

Views: 877

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Jeff, I go the disc and band in the mail today during lunch. It's a good design, but the band seems tight. I have not tried to use it yet but I will tonight and will use it for two weeks starting tonight. How often do you want feedback? I threw 415 feet uphill on Sunday. What sort of jump would you be looking for??

Cool! Thanks for letting me know it showed!

I guess I probably should have included some sort of routine, or instructions, huh?? Lol.

Anchor the the DG Trainer to a pillar, tree, fence post, etc, using the QD buckle strap. The strap will go out to 38 inches, I believe, so you can take it and use it just about anywhere. Just make SURE you cinch the strap down to keep everything pulling the way it should. Anchor it at the HEIGHT that you PULL THROUGH at. If you pull through at your chest, anchor it at chest height.If you pull through at you belly button, anchor it at THAT height. You want it anchored at the height you will pull though and keep a good, LINEAR Pull from start to finish.....

All I do PERSONALLY is PROPERLY grip the disc, go through my reach back, then SLOWLY but deliberately replicate a throwing motion, INCLUDING HIP, BODY, AND SHOULDER ROTATIONS! I am a Backhand thrower primarily, but I also use the device to work on my Forehand and Overhand form and muscle groups. Which ever throw you are replicating, just focus on your form and keep the motions slow and deliberate.

If the band seems tight to start, start off closer to the object you've anchored to, then on your pull through, ONLY PULL THROUGH AS FAR AS YOU CAN AND BE COMFORTABLE! Please DO NOT try and go into this all out thinking you have to extend the band clear into your follow through. You don't! You will get benefits from it starting slowly and making sure you DO NOT pull a muscle or something worse. The LAST thing I want is for Anyone to get hurt! 

I started by doing 10 reps of slow, deliberate pulls, MAKING SURE TO PULL STRAIGHT THROUGH. THINK STRAIGHT LINE AND WATCH THE BAND! The band makes a GREAT guide so you KNOW your pulling through STRAIGHT.  At the end of each pull through, I hold the pull for a 2 count. On the last pull of my 10 reps, I hold at the end of my pull until my arm really starts to tire and I can feel the burn a bit, BUT WITHOUT overdoing it. Then, I switched arms and did the other side. I did 3 sets of 10 pulls, each arm to start. I started doing backhand Only. If you are going to incorporate forehand and/or overhand also, I would suggest doing less for a few days to make sure your not going overboard to start. :) MOST IMPORTANTLY, ONLY DO WHAT FEELS COMFORTABLE.

Now that I have been doing this for better than a Month, I am doing 3 sets of 25 reps backhand, Both arms, and 3 sets of 10 reps forehand and overhand , Both arms, at least every other night. I have have built up to this point. It is what feels comfortable to me, and that's what is most important.

As far as feedback goes, post when you think that you have something to say! Good OR Bad. Post as you see things happening, or post at the end of your 2 weeks. Its up to you! I just ask that you give your honest opinion on the device, but also Resistance Training as a Tool for Disc Golf.

I am not looking to see you jump from 415ft drives to 500ft drives in 2 weeks. If that happened, Awesome! BUT, most likely it won't. I am not looking for a certain magic number of feet increased. Before starting the band trainer, I was driving 280-290ft on a Good day. After doing this Regularly for a bit over a month, I am regularly getting out to 320-330ft, with the OCCASIONAL 350ft+ toss. This is not a MIRACLE cure for distance. IN MY OWN OPINION, it is a GREAT way to build and tone the critical muscle groups for Disc Golf while developing Proper MUSCLE MEMORY, which is the Key to disc golf. OH, also, take it to the course with you and use it to WARM UP WITH. I'll bet you you'll see an increase in Distance.... :)

I am honestly hoping to hear Everyone that was sent a DG Trainer sees benefits from it, but I know not everyone will gain 100ft on their drives. I am very excited about this because I have seen the benefits it has given me with more distance, a smoother throw and follow through, and just feeling better about my game in general. I would be excited for everyone trying the DG Trainer to feel the same. :) 

ok sounds good

Band tension is fine, Did 10 BH and ten FH reps last night.
Awesome! :)
Thats cool Skipper! Is it hooked to a Gym machine, or just a resistance band?

The plastic coated 1/8inch cable plus the loop and tie's only cost about $2.50 altogether at BiMart. Did about 5 feet of cable and 3 feet of surgical tube, slide across the chest very well with out gripping. The loop is nice as it allows the cable to slide from one side to the other while pulling through.  I was also able to run the cable right into the center of the tube so it's pretty clean in the center.

I just wanted to try this out and see how well it would work. If you like I can keep you updated as well. I had back surgery 8 weeks ago and have to be very careful while throwing. But I can't stay away! I thought this might work good for me to help me get back to 400+ but I know thats a long was away as I am somewhere around 200- :( Just happy to be out there! Good thing for pain killers!

Just walked in the door a little bit ago to find mine sitting on the table.  Look forward to seeing what this can do for me, and I'm glad I can give you feed back on your product!
That's Awesome! YES, Please keep us updated on how it works for you AND if you think it makes a good Rehabilitation Tool for you! I would be WAY interested to hear your thoughts!
Sweet! Glad you got it! Thanks for letting me know! :)
Just hooked to the band, But I didn't like the band going over my shirt, so I wanted to try this, and id does slid over the shirt very good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968