www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

The PDGA has been promoting an episode of the show "Happy Endings" that aired tonight. The episode was to at least feature people playing disc golf with PDGA branded items. For this to occur on Prime Time television is a big lift for our sport. Here is what the PDGA said on their website about the subject:

"While increasing interest and popularity of this sport is evident in the worldwide participation and growing membership of Disc golfers, portrayal of this sport in the media is imperative for prosperity and awareness on a global level. Television is a monumental step in securing our place in sports history. "  PDGA- DG on Prime TIme

A monumental step in securing our place in sports history; what the hell where you thinking. You must have a better plan to promote disc golf than to pin it on the hopes that a second rate comedy show would do it justice and not make fun of it. Please tell me you have a better plan than letting them call my sport a "Hobby", which they did. Please tell me you have a better plan than letting them call my sport "Frolf", which they did. Please tell me you have a better plan then letting them show that throwing a disc looks something like ballet in the park, which they did. Please tell me you have a better plan than letting them show a lady get hit in the head, because you know how hard it is to not hit people in the head from 5 feet away when your driving, but they did.

You promoted on Facebook, Twitter, and your website to tune in and watch the show take disc golf awareness to a global level. I wonder how disc golf looks on that global level after tonights episode of Happy Endings? Are you just trying to make us feel bad? Is that your way to pompt us to get off our ass and get out and promote the sport ourselves? Is that your better plan? I don't think so, I don't think you have a clue what it takes to break into the mainstream media and maintain any sense of dignity while doing it. I think you where just hoping that they wouldn't make fun of disc golf and that this would be a lucky break. You rolled the dice, played the lotto, and petted your lucky cricket, hoping that this would be the day disc golf got its free publicity. Well, it did, and now you know why it was free.

Don't get butt hurt that I'm on here pissing and moaning on how you screwed the pooch either. I'm not done yet, I want you to post admission that you screwed the pooch on all the social media sites that you used to get the word out to watch the show. Then I want you to invite help from those of us down here on the front line playing DG and supporting our local clubs. There may be some of us that are able to help push the needle for the sport. If you don't know how to get those focus groups going at the local levels, you better figure it out quick. I'm done ranting I guess, I've got more to say, but f*ck it, i'm frustrated.

AND......If you think I'm not the kind of guy to put my money where my mouth is PDGA, PM me.

Ps- DGRUS faithful, if you just want to play and don't give a crap about this stuff, I won't be offended if you just ignore this post.

Views: 1017

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tao of Steve...it's actually a good movie.

This is one of the best..if not thee best plug for Disc Golf
You guys are still missing the point. No wonder things are all screwed.

Hot dog eating contests make ESPN. Disc golf does not.

That's where the sport is, deal with it. :)

Ever been to an overall championship?

What do people want to see? The jumping frisbee dogs. Who sponsors it "PURINA!"

It's all about entertainment.

The only ones that went to watch disc golf, were uuum disc golfers.

The 'key' to disc golf, is build more courses (decent ones, some championship level, but mostly beginner to advanced level).

If you want a championship level course integrate beginner and advanced tees.

The PDGA has not been able to 'market' since 1976 correctly.

The ones there are 'ego' driven.

They need to face facts, not  fantasy of 'how big' it's going to get. (Look at the dvd "Chains.") Hype.

Market towards what we use.

DIscs, shoes, food, drinks, clothing.

But it will take numbers. Lots of them.

It takes a 'dedicated' few to run clinics, get involved with schools, cub scouts.... 

get involved with your local clubs.

Run charity events.... good luck with that. Most of the time disc golf is the 'charity.'

My personal opinion is the Pay for Play is where the real growth will come.

You have 'incentive' for the people involved to get something in return.

The real rift in this discussion is that we have four different sides fighting about two different issues.

There are the two sides fighting over whether or not the tv spot was good for the game. We'll never really be able to know the number of people who saw it and will check it out versus the people who will completely wright it off as a doofy game.

There are also the two factions contesting the PDGA's actions in promoting it. I think this has a more definitive answer. The PDGA got really excited and told all of its (obviously already disc golfing) members to get super excited as well. Even if portrayed in a good light, it was not going to be worth much (though it certainly would be worth something). It was worth a small tweet without any exclamation points. It was not a huge fumble or anything for the PDGA, but it is certainly an example of their ineptitude at PR.

You make a good point.  Ineptitude at PR, well worded.

Thesaurus 

Noun 1. ineptitude - unskillfulness resulting from a lack of training
unskillfulness - a lack of cognitive skill
rustiness - ineptitude or awkwardness as a consequence of age or lack of practice; "his rustiness showed when he was asked to speed up"
2. ineptitude - having no qualities that would render it valuable or useful; "the drill sergeant's intent was to convince all the recruits of their worthlessness"
quality - an essential and distinguishing attribute of something or someone; "the quality of mercy is not strained"--Shakespeare
fecklessness - worthlessness due to being feeble and ineffectual
groundlessnessidleness - the quality of lacking substance or value; "the groundlessness of their report was quickly recognized"
paltrinesssorriness - worthlessness due to insignificance
valuelessness - having none of the properties that endow something with value
shoddinesstrashiness - the quality of being cheaply imitative of something better
damndarnred centshuckstinker's damtinker's damnhootshit - something of little value; "his promise is not worth a damn"; "not worth one red cent"; "not worth shucks"
vanityemptiness - the quality of being valueless or futile; "he rejected the vanities of the world"

I do believe Andrew and DPS have hit the nail on the head. Thanks for getting it guys. It is the choices that the PDGA made that I'm concerened with being the symptom of something else. Unfortunately that brings us back to the "what do we do to advance the sport" question. I don't really want to have that conversation again, but go ahead guys.

I would ad this. If the PDGA wants to talk some of us out in the regions about where we should we go, I'd be willing to put in my share of effort.

Bob Barker Likes Disc Golf !!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968