www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Is anybody out there aware of a Zip Line/High Ropes course that coexists with Disc Golf.  If so share your thoughts...Hell, share them even if you don't know of one.

Our City in it's infinite wisdom is working to slap a Zoom Air Zip Line Deal directly on top of us.

Tags: Daytona, Disc, Florida, Golf, Tuscawilla, Zipline, line, ropes, zip

Views: 698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love high ropes courses and I love disc golf!  Sounds good to me... might get a little scary having discs wizzing by you while wizzing down the zip line.  lol

Yeah Moving targets...gotta love it.

That would be FUN!!! People to aim at????? Lol!

Can you imagine getting an ace while flying down the zip line?

Or getting ACED while flying down one!

All kidding aside...Neither the owners of the Zip Line company nor do the powers that be within the upper ranks of our city govt...haven't a clue about the physics of our game. Our leisure services director (that's a fancy name for the head of our Parks dept) Led me to believe that they were only in preliminary negotiations with Zoom Air...it became clear last Thursday...that they are way beyond that...the use permit goes before our city commission on March 21st. They completely hoodwinked us.

They have yet to have an arborist examine our trees. As far as I can tell...an impact study done...nor do they have any design plans for the individual elements. This thing, while it sounds like fun, will be directly on top of us. Both the city and the company reps assures us it will not impact our course in anyway....what they don't quite understand...yet....is disc golf will impact them.....literally. What that means for our course is...once they realize the potential for Disc verses zipliner is going to be a common occurrence....and considering this thing will potentially generate a crap load of revenue for the city....something disc golf can not do....not even close.  Our 20 year old, well established course may be on the ropes...and that sucks!!   

Our hope is ask the city to delay granting the use permit...at least til we have a chance to see exactly where they plan on zipping to and from...a report from an independent arborist that hopefully shuts them down before they even get off the ground.  I've worked hard over the last few days to gain support from the surrounding neighborhood..which I am making good progress at. 

There are some great points to having this activity coexisting with us. The exposure to our sport...the revenue will be a huge boost to our city's budget woes....something our course may benefit from directly. A few jobs created. A real concession for snacks and drinks. Running out our long term vagrants and transients.  All of which I'm all for. However ..They hoodwinked us...something that does not sit well with me or my neighbors who know full well that our presence cleaned this park from the pit it once was. it's clear they have only dollar signs and have not jumped through all the hoops you would expect a project of this type should be required to jump through. While we might lose this fight and the outcome may not be that bad if we do...we will have made a stand and an attempt to influence the design of this thing or force them to find another parcel to work with.

I recommend putting a driver in the hands of the decision maker. when they get the idea of how dense the disc is and how sharp the edge is, they might rethink it. the exposure is good, but 1 smartass target throwing kid hits a zip liner and it'll be the disc golf course that ultimately pays.

I did that...last Thursday at what was supposed to be the preliminary meeting with Zoom Air. I handed him a Boss and a quick tutorial of the physics of disc flight. To say he had a frog in his throat would be an understatement. They had no idea what that one disc could do. I was told by our Leisure services director we would have another meeting to discuss things out side of a public meeting...Tomorrow will be one week and I have yet to hear from anybody... Oh and I've called and left a message to remind him. Hopefully tomorrow I will hear something. I want to take the Zoom Air people to the park with our top and farthest throwers and show them first hand...it least that's the plan.

What I really want to know from the DGRUS folks... is there a Disc Golf Course already coexisting with a zip line course and how is working out.

A Sylmar local refers to pedestrians as Mobile Mandys.

Ifound this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-xZfxrdV38

and  this https://www.google.com/search?q=zip+line+and+disc+glof&rls=com....

I think there are several around the US perhaps contacting one of the Disc Golf Courses on the list or thier club may be a avenue to explore.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968