www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Attached is a copy of the document Kevin and I created in the Fall of 2006 describing the MIDGC and outlining both the format and rules of play. Please review it and feel free to suggest any changes you think might improve the series.

Thanks for your input!

Views: 0

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I'd like to propose we change the language in the organizing document describing how the number of scoring players for each event will be determined. Right now if any team brings a minimum of 1 player, the number of players any team can have "score" toward the event is two.

To encourage greater participation and to reward those teams who are demonstrating a commitment to playing in the events, let's change the language to read:

"The number scoring players for each team during an event shall be determined by the greatest number of players the most (or maybe 'at least half the') teams in attendance can field." This way, if LTU and LCC can each field a team of 4 players, and Ferris only has one or two show up, the scores of 4 players shall be counted toward the intercollegiate challenge for that event. I think this kind of change in the rules might help motivate each team to do their best to bring as many players as they can....

Let me know your thoughts.

Leonard
My 2 cents

What about having each leg still count the "lowest amount of team members" but the overall takes all members of the school. Also gives non score counting members something to look forward too.

ex.

team ltu
player one (scoring both rounds) 21+10, 17
player two (scoring both rounds) 21 + 10, 19 + 10
player three 16, 17
player four 16, 20 + 10

for that event team ltu gets 31 + 17 + 31 + 29 = 108
but for the overall they get the 108 plus the two non scoring members = 187
I like what Jeff saying there...that keeps the events themselves fair because sometimes its hard to get even two guys to make it....but It also gives teams insentive to try their best to get a full team together
So, you'd prefer to keep the lowest number of scoring players for each event as it is, but change how we calculate the points for the overall (or season) winner?

Due to the large number of events (right now 8 total, but could be 9 next year if you guys decide to move the finals into May) the ability of one team to stack their home event in a way that would give them an unfair advantage in the overall race would be minimized. For instance, remember when you came to Big Rapids, Ferris had 10 different players there that day. But, over 9 events the net effect would be equalized along the way. It would be interesting to go back through and see what the team points race would look like now if all players points had been included.

If we did that, then there would be no need for the player participation bonus that now gets added in toward the overall. Currently, each team gets one bonus point per player (scoring and non) for each round played.

On another note, what would the "ideal" full team be?

My original thinking was to model this after tennis which uses 6 players. Three rounds of doubles and six singles. On an 18 hole course this would allow 12 teams of 6.

Or, as this grows, would it be better to move to head-to-head competition--organizing a series of home and away matches?? Personally, I like the "track meet" format we're using...but, we've should probably be weighing all the options.

Leonard

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968