www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'll start by relating my first BOB and DFL tournament result.

It was the summer of '63... nope wrong story.

It was a one-day Halloween Tournament up in Bowling Green, KY. I had only played locally in doubles and had never played a real PDGA tournament until a friend of mine that played tournaments convinced me to give it a try. Woke up early Saturday morning and with the help of several Mountain Dews made it to the course 3 hours later with some time to spare.

Played a handfull of practice holes on a course I had never seen before. The temperature was starting to warm up some. Maybe should not of left those Charleston Chews and Gatorade on the dashboard.

And, then it was time for the players meeting. Hope we were not suppose to take notes. I did not bring a pencil or paper. Damn, I need a pencil for the scorecard.

And, then it began.

The horn sounded and my DFL round began. Now, there must be something when you are starting out in this sport that your discs fly differently when you are in another State. I think it was the bluegrass that was messing with my drives...putts... approach shots and everything in between.

I was struggling to find my game, any game. I was 3 putting and turning 4s into 5s but, alas I was not the only one. I found comfort in that fact and soldiered on.

After turning in our cards the TD gave us no notice but reached into his pocket for his handy CRAY handheld super computer to tally the results. After which I really realized it was not a good idea to leave Charleston Chews and Gatorade on the dashboard.

After drinking down some Charleston Chews and scorching our mouths with Piping-Hot Gatorade we made it back to check the results. The leader board (which really is kind of misleading, my name was on it but I was not leading much of anything) listed out all of our names with our scores.

Phew! I'm not last in my group. I'm second to last. The guy below me got a six on every hole. Atleast, I was able to mix in a few pars and bogeys to go along with my sixes. Alright, there's some good news.

Oh, wait a minute. The TD was asking if anyone had seen this guy and then I heard someone say that he had to leave after the first round. After which the TD removed his card from the board leaving me with the distinct honor of bringing up the rear and finishing with my first DFL.

It was like watching your putt bang into the side of the basket on a 40ft uphill putt and then catch an edge and roll back past you in slow motion.

The good news or maybe not so good, is that I remember receiving a free disc for finishing last in my division along with some weak applause.

And that was my first BOB DFL exeperience in Disc Golf. I am racking my brain for another but after turning Pro in 93' my goal was not to have to play with the Pro Womens group the last round of the tournament.

Well that was my first BOB DFL story and if anyone else would like to share their tales of woe, feel free to add to this discussion "Therapy" group.

Circle your chairs and let the healing begin.

Views: 2

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968