www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I teach in Ann Arbor Mi, and have played DG for a coupla years. I'm thinking about starting a disc golf club at school and wonder if anyone has had any luck starting something similar and has any info, it might be helpful.

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I started a frisbee club at our high school 5 years ago. It is an official school club with a charter and everything. We play Ultimate/Goaltimate every Tuesday, and DG every Thursday, after school. The club tends to be popular with non-traditional athletes; about 80% of our regulars are theater and band kids. We have a good core of female players as well. Basically, any kid who fills out a safety waiver can come out play. Ultimate is definitely a bigger draw; we have anywhere between 16-24 kids show up and we have played friendlies versus other schools in our district. I usually have only 3-5 DG addicts in any given year but several of them usually turn out to be pretty hardcore. I was able to use some startup funds and my club supervision stipend to buy 9 InStep baskets for a temp course on school property. However, a 15-hole course has gone close to our school, so I have filled out district paperwork in order to transport students in my Honda Pilot to and from the course. Members of the Mile High Disc Golf Club here in the Denver/Metro area have donated used discs in the past, so I have about 2-3 boxes of random discs for kids to play DG with. We even have get our own page in the yearbook, and today we were in the latest edition of the school paper!
I started a disc golf club at my middle school in August 2006. I worked summer school and bought 9 Innova Discatcher Sports and my dad chipped in and bought 70 Sharks and minis. I have to say, Innova was very helpful, as we got the baskets for $100 each, the Sharks for $3 each, and the minis for $1 each. We started off with around fifty members, but it has since whittled down to about 8-10 "regulars". We raised money and put in11 holes across the road in an old cow pasture. We are running an Ace Race on Sept. 27 to raise money for course improvements, including tee signs and 7 more holes. I hope to promote disc golf even more this school year.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968