www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I think it is important that clubs have activity. They should be doing things. Seeing each other. Most importantly playing disc golf. Thoughts?

Tags: clubs, formats, tournaments

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

well the only thoughts i have are u should have weekly events for exp. Peru has a weekly singles lg we do 2 of these a week. we also have 2 b/s lgs a week. we hold a tourney every mo. at diff courses in Peru. getting a group of club members together to play in other events. Try to get in to your states tour (if your state has one)
try to work with other clubs that makes a big diff.
Lingo... singles lg and 2 b/s lgs?? Sorry.
best shot .... there random draw
The Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League (Waterloo/Cedar Falls, IA) has run a weekly 4 person per team handicapped scoring league every Monday from May through August since 1985. Teams play on 3 different courses over the course of the season. The handicap scoring system levels the playing field between the pros and the ams. We usually have 14 teams each season so with subs that show up there is around 60-65 players each week. It is quite an honor to win the title of "League Champion".

We also sponsor the original "Snow Disc" tournament the Saturday after Super Bowl, a doubles tourney at Hickory Hills in May, and 2 or 3 more singles tourneys over the year.

Spring and fall seasons we offer 2 person best shot, random draw. The winter we spend with monthly meetings getting ready for the next year. Of course there are plenty of "work days" to maintain and improve our courses (at present count 5).

We have given many school demonstrations (Gym teachers love these) and try to remain visible to our Parks & Rec Departments by showing up to their meetings.
You should run the kinds of tournaments your volunteers want to step up and run. And so long as they stay within the budget, you should give them the freedom to run it the way they wanted, and only as much guidance as necessary to ensure that the thing is not run half-assed.

If you are the volunteer, you should run the kinds of tournaments you want to play. You are a reasonable person. What you think is going to be fun other people will think is fun too. What I do for non-IOSeries stuff is, I plan on playing it if the attendance is small. That way I keep myself honest about whether it is something I'd want to play.
Historically, hi-lo or pro-am best shot has proven itself better at club building. Eventually your random draw players will figure out it is a sucker game except for the elite players. Only an elite player can be on a team with two elite players, and week after week, the winning teams are the ones with two elite players. Elite players might be am 2s at your league. that's why i show up when i can! You build a club of hustlers and suckers when you build it on a game that appeals to hustlers and suckers. That's not the best foundation for a club.

You don't see me taking my wife and kids to random draw, except now that Kelsey is as good as most amateur men, she and i play some random draw when we can. I take them to pro-am or hi-lo where they can play on the am or lo side, draw a good partner and have fun. Nothing will drive the women and am 4s away faster than when they show up a couple weeks in a row and get another woman or am 4 for a partner.

When I look around and see clubs that are friendly to women and lo-ams, I usually also see clubs that have lots of members and volunteers. Discontinuum had about 130 members last year and they run a weekly pro-am league with bubble rules. Kensington was big when it was pro-am lizard and disappeared when it went to random draw.

I'd like to start a Sunday afternoon hi-lo league. Maybe do hi-lo based on PDGA ratings and a ladder system with Mulligan chits paid out to players who finish out of the cash. I'm still talking Diana and the girls into the idea. They are fine with Sunday afternoon casual family golf. And we are losing Kelsey to summer camp and college soon. This idea might percolate until my disc golf side kick abandons me for the pursuits of young adulthood.
We have found that introducing the bag tag has helped pick up interest in joining the club. We did have a "final" bag tag round at our Fall Picnic to determine next year's bag tag numbers.

I think events may be more important than tournaments.
Our Fall Picnic featured:
1. Morning Bag Tag round (about 40 participants)
2. Afternoon Random Draw Doubles Best Shot (about 50 participants)
3. Evening Glow Doubles (8 participants)

We also had two different bands and lunch and dinner provided.
There were also a variety of games of skill.
Absolutely. Trying to get local park authorities on your side can be difficult, especially when they might not be open to your suggestions. I'm trying to test the waters carefully on this one as not to upset anyone... Any ideas?
What do you do in Pro/AM doubles when you have too many pros or too many ams, or an odd number of players?

Bruce Brakel said:
Historically, hi-lo or pro-am best shot has proven itself better at club building. Eventually your random draw players will figure out it is a sucker game except for the elite players. Only an elite player can be on a team with two elite players, and week after week, the winning teams are the ones with two elite players. Elite players might be am 2s at your league. that's why i show up when i can! You build a club of hustlers and suckers when you build it on a game that appeals to hustlers and suckers. That's not the best foundation for a club.

You don't see me taking my wife and kids to random draw, except now that Kelsey is as good as most amateur men, she and i play some random draw when we can. I take them to pro-am or hi-lo where they can play on the am or lo side, draw a good partner and have fun. Nothing will drive the women and am 4s away faster than when they show up a couple weeks in a row and get another woman or am 4 for a partner.

When I look around and see clubs that are friendly to women and lo-ams, I usually also see clubs that have lots of members and volunteers. Discontinuum had about 130 members last year and they run a weekly pro-am league with bubble rules. Kensington was big when it was pro-am lizard and disappeared when it went to random draw.

I'd like to start a Sunday afternoon hi-lo league. Maybe do hi-lo based on PDGA ratings and a ladder system with Mulligan chits paid out to players who finish out of the cash. I'm still talking Diana and the girls into the idea. They are fine with Sunday afternoon casual family golf. And we are losing Kelsey to summer camp and college soon. This idea might percolate until my disc golf side kick abandons me for the pursuits of young adulthood.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968