www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

OK, what are your favorite three courses you have played and why? Here's mine:

1. Rockledge DGC, Rockledge, FL - The original, not the replacement. Imagine a mangrove swamp in sunny, sticky Florida. Then take a bulldozer and carve fairways criss-crossing the property. Add ample wind and Midnight Flyers and y9u have yourself a masterpiece. This course is now long gone, but it was a great one. Probably at the top of my list partly for sentimental reasons, since it's the first course I ever played, back in 1978. I seem to remember beating Hos there once or twice too. ;)

2. Pickard Park, Indianola, Iowa - This may also be somewhat the result of sentiment, but it's a great course. Rolling hills, ample grass with fairways mowed between the weeds and a few nasty water hazards. A great mix of long and short, open and tight, left and right. Add great tee pads and signage and you have a winner. When AJ and I played this course last summer there was a hot-air balloon rally going on nearby, so the balloons were flying overhead as we played. Magical.

3. Sipapu Ski Resort, Sipapu, NM - I've only played a few ski resort courses, but this one was great. Grinding up, up, up the hills, weaving in and out of the dense pines and then finally...finally getting a chance to uncork big booming putter-drives downhill for 700 or a thousand feet. That, and homemade fudge at the lodge!

Views: 8

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, that's tough. I've spent 15 minutes just narrowing down a top 10. I'll have to get back to you on that one.
Hey, I won the Pickard Open in Open in 2006!
back to back 56's in high wind and rain
3rd fav course
My top three courses I've played to date are as follows:

1. Milo McIver (Riverbend DGC), Estacada, Oregon. When I played the course last, it was a 27 hole course, I've heard they have beefed it up to a 36 hole course. The course is challenging and peaceful as it runs along the Clackamas river. The Beaver State Fling is hosted here every year and I've heard it's an awesome tournament.

2. Solitude Ski Resort, Brighton, Utah. The course is set on a ski resort, so you can only play it during the summertime. Your disc golf experience either starts with a ride up a ski lift to the first pad, or you can park your car and hike throught the woods along a trail to the first tee pad. This 27 hole course winds it's way up and down the resort presenting different disc and shot opportunities including the last hole which is over 1200 feet long looking down the last ski run. Keep an eye on your discs here as a bad shot can really punish you. Also, Moose sitings are not uncommon.

3. Patapsco Valley State Park, Ellicott City, Maryland. This is an awesome course for big arms. This championship course has multiple holes which I would consider par 4. Anyone walking away with less than a 70 from the long pads to the long pin position should be happy with their performance. This course winds through an east coast forest where the deer run free. On the day I played this course, I was the only person there for over 2 hours. After playing Morley, I was amazed to see such a jem not being overcrowded. If you find yourself in Maryland, don't miss this course.
Frisco- Frisco,CO- The scenery is amazing not too mention that you are throwing at elevation, you can see Copper Mtn on several holes.I have a picture of a hole from Frisco on my page.

Pease Park, Austin,TX- Laid back crowd, UT girls jogging all around the course, oh and its my home course.

Cameron Park East,Waco,TX- challenging layout that is very fun to play even if you are shooting horrible.

I could name off several other courses but if I had a choice of only 3 courses to play for the rest of my life I would want it to be these.

Honorable Mention- Twin Parks Country Club,Dripping Springs,TX- 2 Texas Hill Country courses as well as other amenities all at 1 centralized area, TPCC has a huge clubhouse with pool tables,big screen TV,ping pong tables, pool, and bar. The owner and staff are very hospitable.www.twinparkscountryclub.com
1 - Hahamongna Park (Oak Grove), Pasadena, Ca
The first course as legend has it and I had the fortune to play it a couple years back. The local hospitality of the golfers there was generous in the least, even went to dinner with a golfer from Sylmar, and got to meet Steve Rico.
2 - Aspen Mountain, Aspen, Co
The highest course in the world with the views to go along with the reputation. We usually take a few extra discs to drive off of Kiss It Goodbye, kind of as an offering. What a beautiful course this is.
3 - Colorado River Course at San Saba, Tx (Circle R)
A John Houck design if their ever was one, plus the first time I ever played it was with my brother and best freind, and we stayed at the lodge. We grilled out and fed John as a thank you for his hospitality. We only saw two other golfers on the property all weekend. Too bad you can't play it anymore, only the memories remain, but they're all good, even World Doubles.
Ok so now I have to replace number three on my list with a Hawaiian course on the big island in Puna.

3 - MacKenzie Park, Puna, Hawaii
This course is located on the southeast side of the big island and boasts some truly awesome views of the pacific ocean. There were lava tubes in the rough which made it interesting on a couple holes after having gone done into one of them. A real gem, absolutely beautiful course and the local golfers were nice guys as well.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968