www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hi, folks. I have never played Ultimate - many, many times people told me I should. But I didn't. Now I am too old :(

I do wonder, though, how many disc golfers do both. So I sort of started this up to find that out. Thanks for joining this club.

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

Well, I have played lots of Ultimate, 16 years of it. I still play, I turn 40 in March. A bit out of shape right now but I can still play. I picked up disc golf about 4 or 5 years back. We (ultimate players) had always dabbled in DG, it required throwing a disc afterall, but never seriously. I picked it up as I mentioned because I had torn my ACL. During rehab, I could throw but I couldn't run, so disc golf seemed be the way to go. Plus the powers that be put a course in less than a mile from my digs. I win! These past two years I have been working towards my graduate degree which essentially retired me from sticking with the club ulty scene and relegating me strictly to the league scene. Golf on the other hand doesn't require at least 13 other people and can be done when you have time, not just during pickup or practice. Now, I play a lot more golf than ulty, as I mentioned, I have time for it. I love the game and I truly see myself being able to keep up with this one a lot longer than chasing after the young bucks and does out playing Ultimate these days.

After playing Ulty this winter in the local indoor league, I can now say with conviction, that I will not be giving it up. I think this spring I am going to drag all those local disc golfers out and play a little Ultimate, give them a taste of that other disc throwing game.
I also just turned forty and am excited to play yet another season of Ultimate. It makes me feel young. Do you have issues with putting in disc golf with to much Anheizer? I've found myself trying to react to a certain spot on the target and hitting it....much like I would do in Ultimate(I actually look away and back at the target on short shots). I've also had problems on my long drives with not wanting my back leg to come unglued after the X-step. On the up side I've really noticed that I have no fear of the forehand shot in certain situations. I give Ultimate a lot of credit for how good I am at disc golf......its been a struggle, but I have a love for both and am looking forward to playing both at age 50.
Just do it......go find a pickup game somewhere.....you should be able to play for a point or two. Then when you are wore out take a break. You've already got the throwing skills.....you'll be pleasantly surprised at how few players have decent throwing skills.....good luck and "go horozontal " Laying out to catch the disc in Ultimate.....really is one of life's Ultimate experiences......I've also found it to be a great time in the surf or in shallow water, where your fall isn't soooo terrible.

David
I started playing ultimate for my college team, UPenn, about 12 years ago (when I was 18), and picked up disc golf when I moved to Tahoe (and ultimate was done for the winter). Nobody to play catch with me, so I'll play catch with a basket.

Love both sports. Ultimate's great for the exhilaration, the adrenaline, and being part of a team. The downside is that Ultimate, and any cleated sport, can really tear up your knees. I have one friend who's actually had 4 knee surgeries, all from ultimate, and he's only in his mid 30s. I stopped playing competitive club ultimate when I tore my ACL a couple of years ago. I still play casually: pick up games and league.

The two greatest things about golf for me are that I don't need a bunch of other people (like Eric said) and it's a life time sport. I see the Legends players and think that maybe I can still play in my 70s, that would be awesome.
I love disc golf and the camaraderie, but the team aspect of Ultimate is on a whole different level. You really should give it a try. Play smart, you don't have to move too much, and with your throwing ability you'd be a great asset to any team.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968