www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Has your town successfully managed to solve problems related to disc golf?
What did they do, how and why did they do it?
How successful has management been?

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

You should really check out the work that Terry Miller has done in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. It's really impressive. They're clubs are building really strong ties with the city in general. Specifically, his work with the GMO.

In northeast Wisconsin, they cover the occasional tourney on the local news... and other than a few random vandals, most people in our community are pretty supportive. What a nice way to meet your neighbors.
Maybe you can narrow down the question. Are you approaching this from the point of view of the municipality? Most municipalities don't really do much with disc golf. Once the course is on their property, they let a Club run the events, host work days, etc. The folks on this board can tell you about things from the point of view of the Clubs, but few of them would have actually worked for a municipality.

There are lots of stories out there of disc golf courses being put in problem parks that were notorious hang-outs for drug dealers and male prostitutes. In many cases the disc golfers helped to drive off some of these problem people. If you are looking for a social standpoint, there should be some stories you can gather. If you are interested more in environmental impact, you would really need a course that has had an environmental impact study to get anything more than anecdotal stories.

So, it really depends on what your parameters are.
If I wanted to start gathering a positive story about disc golf and a park system I'd contact Terry Calhoun, the guy that created this site. I'd ask him for the back story about the relationship between a3disc and the Hudson Mills Metropark. Obviously the Director at Hudson Mills, Kim Jarvis, has had a positive experience with disc golf. She apparently believes in the sport and is banking on the sport generating income for her park. The Hudson Mills pay for play experiment, if it is successful and if it is copied to any large extent (and that is a couple of big if's), would be the most significant development in disc golf since the Aero. It would fundamentally change the relationship between disc golf and our host park systems. For a department like the Huron-Clinton Metroparks to believe in disc golf as a legitimate revenue source is a huge development in disc golf, although one that many folks on this site will not welcome. If Terry could put you in touch with the right folks to talk to at Hudson Mills, that might be a good place to start.
Not only the Greater Milwaukee Open, but the 2007 Amateur Worlds as well. His club single- handedly got 3 courses installed for the worlds last summer. The addition of Brown Deer, Dineen and the second course at Dretzka.
Our Club, Fox Valley Metro Disc Gold Club of IL is currently trying to install concrete tee pads at our home course of Eagle Ridge in Oswego. Lst year, after much work we go another nine holes put in to make the course an 18- holer. the last few years we have been after the concrete as well. We finally decided to get going on this by collecting signatures from everyone that came out to the cousre to play throughout the last 2 months. We now have over 200 signatures and a meeting with the park district head honchos to discuss this matter personally. Originally we had planned on attending the board meeting with a strong showing of club members to punch this through. After telling them what we had panned, they said that they wanted to discuss with our officers what we were proposing. The meeting is set for Tuesday. I will let you know after we meet with them what we have accomplished.
Hello all, I have had a very positive experience with a Township park board who were very enthusiastic about the possibillity of having Disc Golf in one of thier parks. They were the ones pushing for a Disc Golf Course. When surveying the park that they wanted it to be placed, I was astouded by its pristine beauty. One thing I knew was that big Disc Golf was not suitable for this park. So I introduced them to Mini Disc Golf. The course was contracted for 18 holes and installed with everyones blessing. I put theTownship into the hands of a Mini Disc manufacturer and designed a logo for thier disc. The Township is now seeing that there is revenew to be made without charging a cover fee to enter the course. Within 2 weeks they had made over $500.00 profit from Mini Disc sales alone. This was the First Public 18 hole Mini Disc Golf Course in the World and there will be more courses to come out of this. (Big and Mini)

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968