www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have recently become conscious of the huge amount of water bottles I buy. I am trying to come up with a better solution. I was at a tournament where I saw 100s of them consumed by everyone and I know many of them went right into the trash. I would love to have any suggestions by anyone who has there water situation figured out.
Anthony

Views: 10

Replies to This Discussion

I agree that disposable water bottles are a HUGE environmental problem. Not only do they generate an enormous amount of waste, but folks are spending tons of money on something that is practically free (2-3 cents a gallon)-water. Heck, even the fancy filtered water I get by the gallon is 35 cents per. I go to a water filtration store in my neighborhood and refill my 5 gallon jugs. The water tastes better than tap, its way cheaper than bottled, and I'm not generating extra plastic waste.

For everyday use, I would recommend using a Nalgene water bottle, or some other reusable, durable bottle. I've been using Nalgenes (from 8 oz size to 50 oz size) for years. They're practically indestructible, and non-porous (so you can clean them very well). I had one for 8 years till i lost it recently. You can get them at most sporting goods store, outdoors store, or online.

The best thing is that you can also launch a Nalgene high into a tree to get your disc, and it won't break when it lands.....ever. and if the lid breaks after a few years, they're replaceable.
Nalgene sounds like the way to go. I did come up with a good water idea. I am going to get a few of the most active members of my disc golf club to have a 5 gallon water jug in their cars at all times. Then have nice disc golf decorated water containers available to all our club members. That way we all will have as much water as we need with out the high cost and envirmental impact.
Use stainless steel bottles.
Reuse them. Fill them up again & again, .....
Plastic is only good for golf discs.
Also no one really knows how plastic leaks into what you are consuming!
I definitely agree with using polycarbonate Nalegene bottles.
They're extremely durable. I've put my swiss gear to the ultimate test:
-thrown it down 3 mountains & out of a car window, and left it out in the vegas sun.

In health matters, polycarbonate bottles are the way to go with their inability to excrete plastic particles, like disc player stated below.
The best way to know if your bottle is polycarbonate is by squeezing it, if you can - it's no good.

I tried using an aluminum bottle, but it wasn't as durable (surprisingly) and couldn't stand the heat, leaving my bottle scalding.

I like the idea of having frequent players bring 5 gallon jugs, genius.
Using the nalgene or something like it is the ultimate in sustainable containers, and also it can benefit the tournament scene. TD's, approach the nalgene or klean kanteen public reps and ask for tournament sponsorships to hand out in players packs. This happened in the beaver state fling and I've been seeing the bottles around everywhere, especially since the logo on it is really catchy!

Peace

Kevin
I have that Beaver State Fling bottle and it is awesome! The TDs did a really great job with that one. I'm glad they're getting some use.
RECYCLED Water bottles made into DISCS

"If you Build it They will come." Perhaps those many thousands of discarded water and POP bottles can be made into something that Promotes Healthy living. Here in the Urban Part of Canada where I live we use Blue Boxes to recycle bottles papers and cans. In fact its the LAW that we do so. (The expenses of Land Fills are offset by the sale of recycled materials making a TAX savings for everyone)

IT was shocking for me to see water from my Local Niagara Water Co. being consumed and dumped into the environment in Los CABOS Mexico. They had NO facility to recycle Plastic. IT must remain in the environment for Decades in the deserts.
What if someone had the ability to make souvenir Frizbee\Discs with bottles collected from roadsides?
I had thought to make a Low Tech method of melting the plastic into roofing material but discs made from heating plastic into molds and sold to tourists wishing to DISC Golf across the desert...Just might provide a Micro economy of Disc Culture across many poor regions. And the result is a healthier and cleaner world.
Nice to have a group of enviromentally concerned Disc Golfers. I was impressed to hear about the nalgene containers and will locate a bunch as soon as possible, since my friends will be getting them as gifts as well. (never heard of it before) I currently carry all of my plastic bottles home with me for recycling, plus all the others I pick up along the way. I also was astounded by how much plastic I use. Unacceptable. Thanks for the tip.
Health Canada has BANNED Bisphenal A because of its Links to Cancer. Be sure to check your polycarbonate bottles made with this product. DEFINITELY don use it in a Microwave. America is SLOW to react to this toxic threat found in many plastics including BABY BOTTLES. Here is a US Link that mentions Nalegene Bottles.

http://watercrunch.blogspot.com/2007/12/are-some-nalgene-bottles-ba...

I am not sure if Discs are made with Bisphenal A - don't use them for Dinner Plates! Play SAFE!

SamDMC said:
I definitely agree with using polycarbonate Nalegene bottles.
They're extremely durable. I've put my swiss gear to the ultimate test:
-thrown it down 3 mountains & out of a car window, and left it out in the vegas sun.

In health matters, polycarbonate bottles are the way to go with their inability to excrete plastic particles, like disc player stated below.
The best way to know if your bottle is polycarbonate is by squeezing it, if you can - it's no good.

I tried using an aluminum bottle, but it wasn't as durable (surprisingly) and couldn't stand the heat, leaving my bottle scalding.

I like the idea of having frequent players bring 5 gallon jugs, genius.
I agree that there are lots of great alternatives to disposable plastic bottles.

Here's a note on the Nalgene issue:
Since BPA was linked to cancer, Nalgene is now making BPA-free bottles which have the same features and cost the same as before ($6-7 each).
That's good news. I like it when corporations do the RIGHT thing. Some industries DENY DENY DENY or give the Classic- It needs more Study- Nalgene did the right thing.

No for something Funny I heard a Comedy show with Jello Biafra he claims a study has shown it takes TWICE as Much Water to Produce a plastic water bottle than the bottle holds! IRONIC!

Hyzer Dog said:
I agree that there are lots of great alternatives to disposable plastic bottles.

Here's a note on the Nalgene issue:
Since BPA was linked to cancer, Nalgene is now making BPA-free bottles which have the same features and cost the same as before ($6-7 each).
Anthony,

SIGG water bottles from Switzerland won the eco award as the best bottle....Klean Kanteen is another popular brand available at REI, food Co-ops, Whole Foods, outdoor stores.

Check out New American Dream or Global Warming 101 , 350.0rg , idealbite or Grist for updates, carbon calculators to measure your carbon footprint and ways to push Green Policies Forward.

Thank you...we have precious short time to make huge changes in our country/ world.

It would be wonderful to see the disc community be leaders in Eco policies and thought.

Paul Thompson
Edina, MN

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968