www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Sheila and I took large trash bags to several tournaments this year and made announcements at the players meetings that it was just as easy to bring an empty plastic water bottle back in as it was to carry it out (since it's lighter once it's empty). We asked people to bring them back and put them in our collection bag.

Many did. Then we took them to our local recycling center. It wasn't particularly hard to do.

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Good to hear. We try to do that about once a week at my local course. Keeps it clean for sure. The last thing I want to see is a course trashed when I show up at a tourney (as is what happened at last years Miami tourney)
Six years ago I was reintroduced to the game of disc golf by being shown two GREAT courses within 20 minutes of my home. I now spend many hours every week at one, if not both of these courses.
Immediately I noticed that trash on the course was a HUGE problem, especially bottle, cans and the plastic and cardboard carriers they came in. One day while playing, a large trash bag was blown unto the fairway. I picked it up and proceeded on with the game, taking the blowing trash bag to a disposal within one of the few baskets that lined the parking lot. At one hole it occured to me that by tying the bag to a small tree in a spot where this trash accumulated, it may prompt the culprits to place trash instead of spreading trash. It worked so well that I started bringing bags from home and with the help of a fellow player, we attacked the problem on our own. Not only by placing bags but also talking it up with everyone we encountered on the course, including park maintenance. We always said "help keep the course clean". What started as an improvised solution to a blowing trash bag has now evolved to a point that the park maintenance has added several barraels around the course and continued with the original efforts by routinely emptying the new baskets as they did after we requested and pointed out our bags that were tied to small trees at six or eight different holes. A little effort spawned by a random bag blowing by has changed the look of the Tittabawasee course in Freeland Michigan tremendously. Vandalism ? It's still a problem - Broken trees, stolen baskets and more, now there's an issue I'd like to find such a simple solution to.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968