www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Here is what I'm currently doing about the problem at my local course. Now, please keep in mind I don't smoke which is why I'm looking for a few good suggestions.
Once a month, I take an empty Gatorage bottle or two, I use these because they fir my Revo bag nicely, and then I play what I termed a Butt-round. i usually play this round solo but not always, the reason is because it usually takes about three hours to play.
I stop at each tee box and sit everything down and begin to pick up butts. It's nasty that I have to touch someone else's discarded butt and not knowing if they have a disease or not, but the problem seems to get out of hand quickly. After I pick them all up, I throw the hole and continue until I put out. Then I sit my bag down and do a quick perimeter check around the basket for more butts.
After I finish that hole it's off to the next until I have played all eighteen.

I don't like to do it but it needs to be done so I do it. I have managed to enlist several locals who will pick them up waiting to drive as well as several smokers who now snub out the cherry and now pocket the butt. It's making a difference but not enough.

What do you guys do about the butts on the course?
Do you have signage that addresses this issue?
Do you have empty cans with sand in them at the tee boxes?
Any ideas are more than welcome.

Tags: butts, clean, litter

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

The Butt round, everyone on the card picked up butts, course is now a little cleaner.
I do something similar with a couple buddies every few weeks. We always use latex gloves (vinyl is the hypo-allergenic version). I am also not a smoker and try to spread the word that butts are not biodegradable and therefore not ok to leave on the ground. It also occurs to me that lots of restaurants receive some foods in 5 gallon plastic buckets that would be perfect to convert into "butt-kets." Putting one of these next to each tee with a couple inches of sand in the bottom would probably help keep down the accumulation of stray butts.
I don't know where you play Nascar but luckily most of the local courses have a trashcan on every hole in our area. Now of course this doesn't make all the players use them for there butts i used to smoke and i would carry a used gatorade bottle and allow people to throw their butts in the bottle. i don't go around picking them up but i don't see to many of them out there either.
i find myself wanting to kill the lazy SOB's who throw there bottles at the base of a trash can more often then not.

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968