www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With 130+ courses in Iowa it's so hard to play them all. Is there any particular coarse that stands out in your mind? Is it that quiet coarse tucked away in a park that doesn't get used very often? Or the one that everyone loves to play? What is your favorite hole on the coarse?

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

I grew up in Marshalltown. There is a small/short course there, but not worth the effort. Good to start the kids out on though. When I come home I like to play the course in Ankeny, Heritage park I think is its name. I also found the 2 courses down in Lamoni. One is on the college campus and the other is a private course J and B Rolling Hills. Both of those were outstanding. I have also played Big Bear and thought that was top notch as well. I will be back to all of these and would also like to play the course at Grand Park (?) Lots of great golf in IOWA.
I live in Burlington and love the park we have there in Danquarkt park. I also love the 9 hole course out in Middletown. Ft Madison also has some great courses as well.
I grew up in Leighton, Iowa, where Edmunton in Oskaloosa, Iowa, was the closest park to go to. When I started playing more regularly, there were two courses in Pella (which aren't that much fun at all) and then one where I live at currently, Maytag Park.

By far, Maytag Park has the best, but not the most challenging course. Every once in a while, I play over in Iowa City, north of downtown. I am not sure what the course is called. But there is definitely more courses than I have time for here in Iowa.
Even though it is ridiculously small, I'll always have a soft spot for Tourist Park in Cedar Falls.

From what I understand, it is the 3rd or 4th oldest course in America, est. 1976.

Very small, pretty easy...but with 4 courses in the CF/Waterloo area it fills a certain role. Plus you can play it in about 40 minutes if you haul ass.

I gotta give shout-outs to the rest of the CF/Waterloo courses...they are all pretty good!

Waterloo - Exchange Park - 27 holes, championship level course. Each 9 has its own flava. Great time. Beware, it's a little ghetto...
Waterloo - Deerwood Park - 2-3 years old, has a good mix of open and technical shots. I've only played it two or three times, but enjoyed each one
Waterloo - Ghost Town/Valley View Park - 9 holes, two sets of pads. Nothing too fancy, but it's fairly difficult the second time around. Has a few good elevation changes.

Add in Hickory Hills and the two Waverly courses, and you got yourself a heck of a selection!
I grew up in Albia but it's very seldom that I get back up to Iowa. I was there about 4 or 5 summers ago in Centerville and tried to play a couple of area courses. Centerville has a course but I couldn't figure out where the tee boxes where or how the course was laid out. I played Albia and it is a nice little 9 hole course. It had a couple of holes that were challenging. I also stopped by Wildwood Park in Ottumwa and played 9 of the 18 holes. That course seemed very wide open compared to the courses down here in South Carolina, but it was also fairly challenging. I wish that I had the time to play the entire course there and would like to try it again if I ever get up there again.
Tourist Park, Cedar Falls is the third disc golf course installed in the country and the first outside of California (1976 is correct). It is short, remember what was being thrown back then (141 and 119 Whamo with an occasional Super Puppy) but it helps to introduce new players to our sport. It has served the Black Hawk Metro Disc Golf League well and is still the most played course in our area (lots of high school & college kids).

Exchange Park in Waterloo has evolved over the years from 9 holes to a 27 hole championship course. Since the city has put a new bike path through the course late last year, it goes through yet another redesign on some holes. Not to worry, the BHMDGL is in charge of the redesign so it should bring a new twist to an old course. Three different 9 hole courses that make you use all of the shots in your arsenal. Very fun course to play, wind , water and of course Frankenstein, the original monster hole that has only been deuced once in competition.

Valley View is scheduled for teepad replacements, new teepad signs and improvements this year by the BHMDGL. Fun neighborhood course with some elevation changes (hard to find in NE Iowa). Fairly wide open shots for the most part but worth the time for a round.

Deerwood in Evansdale is challenging and fun. Designed by Mike Kindschi, it requires power and touch. It usually kicks my butt but when I win, it's memorable. Tight woods and wide open shots mix up the play with this course. Something for everyone (bring your game, you'll need it).

Last but certainly not least is Hickory Hills, south of Waterloo. A permanent 9 hole course that expands to 24-27 holes for the annual two person best shot tournament in May, this is a scenic, World Class course that was originally designed for the 1989 PDGA World's. It is a test for the best. Ed Hedrick told me it was the best disc golf course used in a World's he had ever seen (up until that time, 1989, as I'm sure other courses have improved since then). Still, if you have never played Hickory Hills, sign up for the doubles soon (it always sells out) and play a true legend.

That is my review of the Waterloo/Cedar Falls disc golf courses. We are happy to have a variety of quality disc golf course in our area. It is a testament to the sport and to the hard work of the BHMDGL.
I grew up in Perry IA, went to ISU, worked at UofIA, and now live in San Francisco. I learned the game at the Caroll Marty in Ames, which I hit up on a recent trip home. The course wasn't in as good shape as it was when I was in college there (98-02) but I really enjoyed playing the course again. My favorite holes are 1, 3, 8, 12, and 16. Others I love are Sugar Bottom and Turkey Creek in IC and Grandview in DM. I also played Walnut Ridge while I was back and LOVED the back nine. Those tight wooded 500ft holes will kick your a$$. Iowa has incredible disc golf for sure!!!
Grandview!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of 2 course that hosted Worlds in '04. Lovely course with lots of up and down, trees, but not too many trees. Nice mixed of holes too.
I agree, I played that course once. Very nice.
Was just there today... wonderful course. I also really love Pickard, Walnut Ridge, and Big Creek.
I don't have a large selection to go from, but I will throw out Rand Park in SE Iowa (Keokuk), along with Ft. Madison's Pioneer and Rodeo Park disc golf courses.
The Rand Park course was redone less than a year ago, and has more challenging shots now. My favorite holes are 1, 4, 10, 11, and 12. My worst holes are a three-way tie, those being 14, 15, and 18 (it's a freaking marsh in that middle grass...).
Pioneer Park is a great little course, with all of the holes being my favorite. However, due to steps that are insane, I do dislike one hole.
I think the Rodeo Park course is pretty challenging. I put it par with Wildcat Springs over in Hamilton, Illinois. For that reason, I could legitimately say that all of the holes are my least liked on that course!
Jones Park in Ceder Rapids, ranks petty hi. Iowa offers alot of nice courses.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968