www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I shoot exclusively with a leftie flick. I continue to be amazed at the number of courses that are groomed as though throwers like myself don't exist.

The most common is a tree just to the left of the tee pad.

I was shooting a course this past weekend where three of the tee-pads didn't have room for me to do a standard approach. Is there some reason why I should be penalized into an alternate shot because some goober rightie never thought through the possibilities?

Anyone else experience this slighting?

Views: 8

Replies to This Discussion

Ian, by "lefty flick" do you mean an actual Discraft Flick, or do you mean your shot is a "flick" of the wrist?

I'm another lefty who throws the Discraft Flick quite a bit, especially for a nice hyzer, but I can also squeeze a decent "S" curve out of that same disc by throwing it with a sharp anhyzer tilt to it.

Sounds like you need to work on another shot (anhyzer? forehand?) for your drive, or get used to a throwing variety of different discs off the tee. Or both. Trying either or both of these solutions should allow you to overcome any fairway obstacles put in place by those cruel course-designing righties, and drastically improve your overall game.
Ian, You are absolutely right and it sucks. So many course designers look at tee pad placement only from the perspective of the shot they personally will throw. It doesn't even occur to them that someone might throw overhead or sidearm or lefty. They don't even look. As a sidearmer, I really appreciate a tee sign placed 10 feet from the teepad, directly on my perferred route to the hole. You might notice that this never, never, never, happens on the righty hyzer route. That would be sacrilege.

And if you mention to that course designer that the course is unfair since it is not balanced then you are just a whiner.

It reminds me of some of the directions you find in the PDGA course directory. The fool authoring them assumes everyone visiting the course is leaving from their driveway to get to the course. Sweet, but they live 20 minutes south of the course while I am driving on the major expressway running 45 minutes north of the course. Freakin brilliant.

The great thing about throwing a left handed forehand is that it bends to the left, just like a right handed backhand. So the lefty flick is a great weapon on courses which are righty hyzer dominate. Oh, wait, darn near every course is righty hyzer dominate.
Come out and try Fountain Hills in Phoenix AZ. Pretty much all your holes are sitting within feet of the water. If you throw 1 way it works. You try to throw the other way either your shot needs to be right on, or your giving yoru disc to the Gods.

Eric

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968