www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hello Chain Gang,

Yall are movers and shakers. What specifically do yall have in mind for maintenance and improvements of Bear Branch Sportsfield? Is there any chance that the Birdshot December tournament could be played there? I am leaning towards a non PDGA sanctioned tournament (can be sanctioned if necessary for Bear Branch). Also thinking of a pick your partner doubles, best shot if not sanctioned.

Chuck DP Discer Conaway

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Well Chuck, as for the improvements, we are discussing the changing of tee boxes. WE'd like to see concrete tee boxes, but that will be a decision for the Woodlands to make. We also want a new practice basket (regardless of type or where it is installed), new trash cans, and possibly new tee markers. I have $600 earmarked for an event out there. I'm trying to make those earmarks work for the course improvements and allowing others to help fund a sanctioned event.
I'm not sure on your feelings on this, but I want to take the TD's exam and get my certification. If I am successful with this endeavor then I will work to get others certified, and we will run an event for that between Christmas/New Years date.
I don't want to ruin the integrity of what is your mission statement, and I'm afraid that I have a slightly different idea on what should financially be committed to an event. That said, I am a true believer in the teacher of experience. I would rather try to work with you and actually not have to worry about TDing an event. I like the idea you propose, but I think that what I have learned through this whole crazy year is that this town is RIPE with people starving for sanctioned events. They want them as often as they can get them. Let me know what you think.
I think that the answer here is that nobody goes into a meeting without a bargining chip. I have two. I'm a resident, and I come bearing a donation that require NO TAX DOLLARS! We will use this to leverage the usage of the facility. They are a business, all be it a public entity, that needs to have payment. But if you give them money, they won't appropriate it correctly. I love to do business Chuck, and I'm ready to match wits with these people. I just have to set it up right.
Hi Mr. Blue,

$600 is a great start. How much does each concrete teebox cost? Andi might know if she does some research. What kind of tee markers do you want to use? You said that you want to get certified and other members also and run the Bear Branch tournament. Later in the document, you said that you would rather not worry about TDing an event. Please let me know which it is you want to do. We are going to go ahead and have our awards tournament at Tom Bass, but will be glad to work with you however you want on Bear Branch tournament. If you would rather talk about it over the phone, 832-632-2350.

Chuck DP Discer
Chuck,
My mistake in missing a vital piece of wording that should have been included. what I should have said, and intended to say was that I'm going to get my cert., and "I would rather try to work with you and actually not have to HAVE YOU TDing an event." Our agenda is the same, but I think that the amounts we are talking about are different. That's all I mean.
I would love your input on things, and I fancy to guess I've learned a lot FROM you guys throughout this year. I just keep reading how much work there is that goes into these things. Shoot, I'm just running a mini series and I'm running into the same critics and situations you guys have been dealing with ALL YEAR! I know you are going to be running the series and more next year. We don't want to compete with that, but we DO want to offer some events of our own. I believe we discussed this @ SV this year, and you mentioned that you didn't mind running tournaments with us, but we needed to adhere to the mission statement. I know that we CAN adhere to the statement, but I don't want to ruffle any feathers if we can do more good by stepping outside that statement for some events to achieve a goal.
Billy has mentioned on several posts that you guys WANT people to step up and do things like this. I cannot deny that your work has inspired us to do just that and more. Why? Because I don't believe in just doing the same thing as someone else, I believe that progress is the meeting of an idea, and an improvement on an idea. Therefore, we think we should support Birdshot events and the series through sponsorship next year, and staffing when tournaments are put on by ANYBODY takes place on OUR courses, and not scheduling to conflict with the Houston Birdshot Series. In turn, I would hope that we would see similar support from Birdshot.
In our mission staement, we stress the belief that there should be individual leadership @ the coures level, and that means providing staff for your home course, providing support in advertising and improving your home course. I feel that the fatal flaw of HFDS is that the ONLY cohesive project that is performed is TEXAS STATES! The whole year is geared to raising funds for the event, and then the only event that HFDS staffs is in fact THAT TOURNAMENT! I love how the rest of the year is dormant. If it is an HFDS tournament, then it should be TD'd, staffed, and prepared for by HFDS MEMBERS! I admire your stepping up to take on the beast that will be TEXAS STATES, but let me ask you a question. If Birdshot will run Texas State's next year, will the tournament adhere to your mission statement? Or are you running it as an HFDS member? If you are running it as an HFDS member, then I applaud your effort. If you run it as a Birdshot event, then "inexpensive, affordable, tournaments" leaves you in a bind, unless you plan to lower fees for the event, which will make more sponsorship vital to providing the kind of player packages required for an A tier event. I for one will back you either way as I consider you to be a friend and a colleague. I was just curious due to the fact that a major part of the reason I don't want to rely on you guys alone to achieve what we want with tournaments up here is because I'm afraid that what I have planned for tournaments will be in violation of some of your mission statement's philosophies. This isn't a problem, it is more out of respect for what you guys have established.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968