www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have discovered that a good course will create a scoring separation from the Pro’s and Advanced divisions. That is one way u can take out personal opinions on the subject “What is a good course?” and just look at what the math tells you. Texas States 2008 a good course Quail Valley 1st - 15th the pros scores ranged from 169 - 190 and the Adv. 1st - 10th was 190-198 Great separation!

Texas States 2007 Tom Bass Pro scores 1st – 5th 169, 176, 179, 183,184
Texas States 2007 Tom Bass Adv scores 1st – 5th 173,178, 181,183,184

They are the same!!!!!

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Jim Kelly on this one. quail valley is the best place for Texas States. And I wish it was their again. But Jim players like me and you can kill at Tom bass because it is all about who has the biggest arm. And Yes it can be boring. But we still need to support the Tounranment and make sure that we are vocal about the tournament not being held at tom bass next year.
I was just using Quail Valley as an example of a good course that showed good seperation for an A tier. I didn't want anybody to think it should move back. The city bought up the land. I will just not go to this tournament "Texas States" is just a name, and a bad place for an A tier event...
It is my opinion that this years Texas States course choice is disappointing as well. While I enjoy the creativity of the extra course they put out at Bass when State's is there, that should tell you how bad it is. The best course layout out there for states will be the "temp" course they put out.
On HFDS message board, there was much discussion (most unproductive) that argued where to have the event. Frankly, my vote was to have it as a traveling event. This makes the most sense from a state championship point of view. It should not be just a Houston event. I know it is for political reasons, but top players go to state championships, and if the best we can throw together is Tom Bass, then the opinion of Texas Disc Golf and Houston Disc Golf will be in the crapper. Shoot, in that previous discussion, I even mentioned that Jack Brooks would be a great location between the two courses there is still enough room for an extra for tournament purposes.
Jim, I agree that separation is a key component for a good A tier. I too foresee an unnecessary log jam of scores in ALL divisions at Bass. Good post, and a topic that was completely ignored by the HFDS powers that be when making this decision this year. Point of interest, check out the latest edition of Flying Disc Mag.. It has a schedule for 2009, and on it is Texas State Disc Golf Championships. You will notice that the event is scheduled for a different date, in Missouri City (Quail Valley), and that Chuck Conway is listed as the TD. Why was it changed? I've yet to get a good answer on this.
Hey Jim the math would work but we don't play the same courses as the ADV guys
I still think Bass is the best place for DG in town so where else would we have it? I actually like having courses where the best Pro score is only 5 down and you have long open holes as well as wooded technical holes.
The only problem with having States at Bass is the possibility of needing a canoe while playing. Some people actually enjoy the 3 courses there, not to mention all of the thankless volunteer hours put in to host the event.
How did the setup go?

Scoot_er said:
Jim Kelly said:
How did the setup go?

Scoot_er said:

We played a different 27 hole layout on Sun. Basically we played the harder tourny holes after already playing the wilmont and you guys got the birdiable ones.
Well that explains it. Thanks, and I respect other opinions about Bass but its just not for me. I will be heading to Bowling Green
Scoot_er said:
Jim Kelly said:
How did the setup go?

Scoot_er said:

We played a different 27 hole layout on Sun. Basically we played the harder tourny holes after already playing the wilmont and you guys got the birdiable ones.
Jim - good observation. I agree with much of what you said.
Matt S. - I'm also for a traveling TX States.
Matt H. - Thanks for clarifying the scoring differential...I always look at the scoring differances between divisions.

Recreational, Novice AND Intermediate divisions...seems like too many divisions where the scores always overlap.

Of course I also always check the Masters / Open scorng differance as well. (Dixon, you just wait until your 48 & some 500' throwing 1000 rated superstar player goads you into donating :)

Hopefully Tom Bass will be relatively dry this year. (if not, it'll be another round wearing my rubbers!)

From my perspective, the tournament has always been very well run. The course is cursed...that's all.

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968