www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Since this has to do with overhead throws then why not start a discussion on what to throw when throwing overhead throws.

Tags: Overhead, Throws, Thumbers, Tomahawks

Views: 829

Replies to This Discussion

I suppose I will go first. Since I only throw Thumbers, for now, then I will start with those discs.

Firebirds (Champion, Star)

Whippets (Pro)
Thummer:
Flick esp 150
Flick elite z 164
Reaper elite z 163

Tomahawk:
Boss CE 173
toss up between my ESP Pulse and my Z Talon, depends what I need.
So it looks like overstable discs are the best to use for these shots, correct? Boss and Firebird work best for me...
yeah i think that would be the best choice. I like overstable and fast disc so the wind has less time to mess with them when in the air.

CBass said:
So it looks like overstable discs are the best to use for these shots, correct? Boss and Firebird work best for me...
Yeah I have never had any luck with an understable disc for a tommy or thumb shot. However, I have noticed the biggest difference in the type of plastic. For instance, (all released at 12:00 angle) Elite X Talon very quick turning tommy or thumber great for short range or getting out of trouble in tight spots, Elite Z Talon, very slow turning huge, huge, distance, 300-400', but you need height and a lot of speed. I also like the Z Wildcat for shorter shots quick turning or scooby slide, or skip shots. On a side note, I mentioned the 12:00 release angle because that definately effects the flight line and thumbers flip faster than tomahawk throws. Some shots need to be angled differently, but just like throwing a disc backhand or forehand, it is easier to use a disc that is meant to do what you want than to try and convince it to do something it will never do. Sorry if this seems lengthy but I have thrown this shot for a long time, and could only use thumbers and tomahawk shots (due to an ankle injury) for a little over a year. I learned a lot! Now, when I throw them usually people in my group are in disbelief with how accurately and far, I can throw them. I began using the Boss a little but it has nothing on my Talon or Pulse.
Me throwing a thumber, ESP Pulse on #18. And a huge EPIC tomahawk on hole #4. Note: I don't recommend the EPIC!

Find more videos like this on discgolfersR.us

Find more videos like this on discgolfersR.us
-Thumber
-Star Whippet 175g
-Champion Whippet 168g
-CE Firebird 166g
-Star Firebird 175g

-Tommy
-CE Firebird FX 166g
-Champion Boss 173g
I tried the Pulse and it is very nice.Thanks!!!
for my tomahawk

175,168,161 champ Valk

for a hammer(thumber)

168,161 champ eagle

the eagle holds longer for better distance.
Glad you like it! It fits in your hand perfect for overhand throws with that slight thumb groove on the top.
Skinny said:
I tried the Pulse and it is very nice.Thanks!!!
I like to throw a champion monster when using a thumber.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968