www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and
completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be
at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the
water. See section 803.03 F. The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of --bounds. In order to
consider the disc as out-of bounds, there must be reasonable evidence that the disc came to rest within the out-of-bounds area. In the absence of such evidence, the disc will be considered lost and the player will proceed according to rule 803.11B.

Soo my question to ponder regards the phrase "reasonable evidence" written in this rule. What do you think constitutes reasonable evidence?

This one is a big question for us on our home course where there is a bunch of water due to a newly expanded drainage pond. Often you cannot see the water's surface from the tee. So if a disc goes in, you don't see or hear it splash. Then you walk up to the water and you cannot see your disc and it's not in the reeds. Do you play that as OB or as Lost Disc. I have a friend that says that if you can see it in the water you play it as OB. Whereas I think it is clear, based on watching the flight if the disc is in the water or not on those holes. Can the group agree that the line of the disc in the air is "reasonable evidence?" Some of these holes you'd probably be guaranteed a circle 3 if it was OB, or you'd get at least a 4 if it was Lost Disc.

What does reasonable evidence mean?

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

krupicka said:
Under the current rules, it is a group consensus for where the disc was last in bounds. IMO for blind OB (and even more so where a disc cannot be found in the OB to aid in determining where it went OB), a good TD will limit the OB options to either the previous lie or a designated drop zone. This is well within the current rules.

I agree with the idea of limiting the options. However, I have to emphasize that if the OB is hidden from the tee, without a spotter to verify, an unfound disc can't be assumed to be OB. IMO, reasonable evidence can not be confused with best guess. So the only way to entirely solve the blind OB issue, again aside from using spotters, would be to limit the options to previous lie only. A drop zone would present the same dilemma as the last in-bounds in terms of the difference between an OB disc and a lost disc. Using only previous lie would render finding the disc or determining "reasonable evidence" unnecessary.
Ockham's Razor.....To sum it up....logically the simplest explanation is likely the correct explanation.

If the group is split...Half think it's OB...Half think it's lost...The benefit of the doubt should go to the player.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968