www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

"The imaginary line on the playing surface extending from the center of the target through the center of the marker disc and beyond......"

This is the one simple concept I see most overlooked, not understood, or simply ignored the most.... (other then touching the marker disc or flipping your disc) that can really affect the outcome.......particularly at a wooded course.

I see this infraction way too much from seasoned players.... disc right up behind a tree, foot to the side of the "Line of Play".

I usually give a gentle friendly reminder to the infrac'tor' of the proper stance and the concept of the "Line of Play"

..."Hey you lousy foot faulting cheating bas....!!!! ...you gonna play by the rules or what?" HA!!!

How do you make the call?

Tags: disc, golf, infraction, play, rules, stance, warning

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I guess if you're backed up against a tree and can't stand balanced with one foot on the Line of play, then you'd be forced to take relief and whatever comes with that (can't find my book at the moment). Right?
CBass said:
I guess if you're backed up against a tree and can't stand balanced with one foot on the Line of play, then you'd be forced to take relief and whatever comes with that (can't find my book at the moment). Right?

If you can't stand right behind the Disc, in this case....The line would take your stance directly behind the tree...still on the line of play.

I've seen guys who have been playing for decades....not know this.
How do you make the call?
I make it before the player throws if I see it. And I do it in a "just so you know" way, not a "you're a cheater, take the penalty" way.

Along these lines, the mis-interpretation I have seen a lot with regard to the line of play is that you are allowed the width of the marker disc which is incorrect. I've seen players leave their thrown disc down thinking that gives them a wider berth from which to take their stance around an obstacle, which is also incorrect. The line of play has no width as it runs through the center of the disc. So your supporting point has to contact DEAD CENTER behind the marker, not just behind an edge of it.

Another issue I've witnessed is when a player lines up with their foot behind the mark and stretches out to the left/right to make their shot. When they're standing flat before the shot, they've lined up their heel on the l-o-p. But as they stretch out to make the shot, they lift the heel up and only have their toe or ball of the foot on the ground which is not behind the mark. ILLEGAL! This is why in those situations, I always put my toe on the mark so I'm legal whether the heel comes up or not.

Interesting topic...interesting group. This should be put to good use.
Actually...I give alittle leaway to that rule. Maybe a tad to the left or a tad to the right of center is ok by me. But if the thrower is standing to the side of his disc? Foul, foul, foul. Call the foot fault. Remember...people are watching you as well. If you get to anal...the competition will retaliate on you and watch you close. I think scorecards would be something to watch more than how far someone was off the line of play.
K.
Chad Curtis said:
In the fairway--hundreds of feet from the basket--I'm pretty easy going about line of play and the player's point of contact. As long as they make an effort than I have no problem with a little bit to one side or the other. But once you get yourself stuck in the shule, or you are within 10 meters of the basket then it is on. A player should make a dam good effort to keep his/her supporting point in the line of play. And if it seems that player is gaining an advantage by moving his/her supporting point off the line of play then you must call him/her on it. Even if they make a mistake or just get a bit lazy with the placement of their toe.
I don't mean to sound widhy-washy on when I would call a foul. The reason I don't care so much out in the fairway is because 5 inches to the left or right will not make a big difference. But when you lean out to get around a tree and your foot moves 5 inches to the side during your stretch--that could possibly give you an advantage--and that is why we have the rule in the first place. Well, at least one reason why we have the rule.

I'll respectively disagree with the idea that out in the fairway a few inches doesn't matter. Next time you're out, try an experiment. Put a mini down and throw a few run-up shots without worrying too much about hitting the mark. Then throw a few more and concentrate on hitting the mark exactly. I guarantee you WILL notice a difference.

There may not be all that much difference between releasing here or five inches to the right in the physical sense. But there's a hell of a lot of difference mentally between making a shot where footwork is ignored (a la a tee shot) and making one where footwork is emphasized.

It isn't just about sneaking a few inches to the side to get around an obstacle. It's about using proper form and playing the game within the rules.
Chad Curtis said:
But where do you start if the norm is to disregard the rule of line of play when it comes to fairway shots??
Change the norm?

It's an uphill battle, but it starts with more players paying more attention and pointing violations out when they see them rather than say "oh, he was close enough" or "he hit that tree, so it didn't help that he missed his mark". Doesn't even have to be a confrontational thing. Just point it out when you see it so the offending player realizes he's doing it. The more players become conscious of their footwork, the less fudging of the mark will occur.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968