www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

You can find and purchase PDGA Approved discs, sold by major disc manufacturers, that weigh more than the PDGA rules allow. They don't have the excessive weight accurately marked on the disc, but if you weigh them, they are above legal weight. Also, it is possible that after purchase, a disc could gain weight by soaking in water, or accumulating dirt, etc. The rule stipulates 8.3 grams per centimeter of outside diameter. Are these discs illegal? Who is authorized to say? If I buy a disc that has a weight marked on it that is not accurate, and a TD says it is Illegal because it weighs too much, what do you do? The PDGA says "E. A player who carries an illegal disc during play shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. A player who repeatedly throws an illegal disc during the round may be subject to disqualification in accordance with 804.05 A (3). "

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

As a PDGA tournament player, I am first responsible for obeying the rules. Next I am responsible for expecting and assisting the rest of my group to follow the rules. It goes to an official or the TD only when my group cannot settle the issue.
As a TD I am not going to weigh discs unless a group asks me to. As a disc dealer, I am aware that many discs are marked a few grams off of their true weight. I have received 50 special stamped Rocs which were all marked 180 grams - yeh right! I just don't believe that a few grams over weight has a real effect on scoring ability. I believe Innova molded all those Rocs aiming squarely at the 180 mark, and that's good enough for me. The PDGA rule places a safety cap on the size to weight ratio - the line is drawn, and it is the manufacturers and players responsibility to adhere to those standards, and I believe all the current manufactureres and most of the players try to maintain those standards. And our sport is safer because we stopped the race to heavier.
My greater concern is discs which are not PDGA approved at all. Also, I am much more concerned about altered discs, which are carved, drilled or added to. Discs used for night rounds are often illegal for PDGA play. Get those taped on lights off the discs - Take the owl out of the bag!!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968