www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I was wondering what your thoughts are on TDs making money from tournaments. And more specifically, reporting that information to the local club members. Should it be a secret as to how much money was made or should it be public knowledge at least within the Disc Golf club? BTW, I have no problems with a TD making a little money from the hard work put in.

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

I say bullspit. If the club pays for the plastic, fronts the money for all or most of the tourney, the club makes the profit. Most people volunteer to run an event. At least the competitors should reap the profit, not the TD.
I am president of a very large club in MI. nobody on the board gets paid and that includes when you TD events.
If our members thought we were getting paid they would have a cow i imagine.
I can get discounts on club merch but only in a limited qty.

All our club profits are turned back into the disc golf world around us.
We support the expansion and new disc golf courses. we buy trees, baskets, benches, tee signs etc.
We reward work crews who help with cleaning or clearing for courses.

I suppose if the TD is going to be paid he had better keep it secret. I do my work for my love of the sport and my local disc golf sports scene.
Without a doubt, all monies should be reported to whatever entities that money is part of. A TD should be held liable to the host club/course of an event. The PDGA allows for a TD to hold back a % for "adminstrative fees", that would be the TD pay and it usually gets put back into the purse/prize or back into the club for future events. As a TD, my club puts everything back into course improvements and plastic. Just my 2 cents.
I think who ever is running the event should be open about the accounting method they use. I can tell you from experience that the events that are the most popular are the ones that have the best payouts. So, the club will be more profitable if they put more into the event.
I think it should be pointed out that not every tournament is run by a club. But regardless, I don't think there's anything at all wrong with whomever is responsible for running the event making a bit for their efforts, be it a club, business, or individual(s). I also agree that accounting should be relatively transparent, but provided the value returned to the players exceeds 100% of what they put in, I don't think anyone should object to the TD/crew/club taking a cut for themselves no matter how the accounting works out.

I've witnessed a lot of turnover in the TD department over the years, mostly from burnout, but also because many TDs over-invest in their events and wind up losing money in the long run. Sure the players are usually extremely happy with the events, but the TD can't keep it up. Tournaments can't run forever at a net loss (only the government can get away with that :D ). If what it takes for the good TDs to keep running their great events is making a little bank for themselves, more power to them and let's encourage it, not nitpick every cent of his/her accounting.
Thanks for the responses, all.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968