www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

C. Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. Discs excessively sanded or painted with a material of detectable thickness are illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F.

I have a Steady Ed (with ashes) putter that I carried and used in competition for 500 putts, without missing a single one. Of course, I only putted from inside six feet.

Once I had accomplished that, I decided that I would like to use it more often. But the problem I had was that my hands are too small to adequately hand an APX, the dome is just too high.

So, reading "may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics" I figured that if I scraped off some of the dome in one spot, where my thumb could grip better, I'd be okay, since that would not alter the disc's flight characteristics, just make it easier for me to grip.

I did so, but then a friend pointed out the "excessively sanded" phrase, so I have not taken it out and used it.

I figure it should be legal, because what I have done could not possibly alter its flight characteristics during a putt. Despite what the language says about "excessive sanding," the intent of the rule is clearly to not alter the original's flight characteristics.

One of the ways you could do that it to excessively sand it, of course, but that would mainly be on the rim, like the DGA does with factored Stingrays.

Is my Steady Ed putter legal, or not?

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

Terry,

If you happened to have a scuff mark on the dome, and you worked at it without it being "excessively sanded", I don't think it would affect the original flight characteristics, especially the flight characteristics of a putter!
This is one of those rules that can only truly be enforced by the disc owner(alterer) himself (and of course - herself).

I see no possible way for me as a fellow card member, division player, or even TD to be able to discern the difference between a disc altered or one cleaned up after a bad day in the trees.

I have no idea if "excessive sanding" creates any real advantage for any disc owner. Not sure I care. As the rule stands now -- honorable folk don't and won't alter; others do and will. Rules are supposed to level the playing field, but this one fails in that regard.

The altering rules are the written equivalent of "gum-bumping" --- a good bit said with no real value.

Terry, I say alter the fool out of it --- legally. Occasionally AND often -- sand that scuff mark off till its gone! But, never, no never excessively sand!
Doesn't it also say that one cannot sand a disc during a round? A practice throw I can agree with, but no sanding of a roughed up edge? For those of you that have not thrown a round in the "Rocky Mountains"; these mountain courses can destroy discs, and sanding during play can be beneficial to anyone and everyone. What do you think?
Terry,
The question is "legal or not"?
3 parts to a response.

1.) I take the same stand as before. The only one who truly knows whether a disc is worn with time/use/etc or worn by a little extra help ----is the owner. It is essentially an un-enforceable rule. Card mates or TD's can't usually look at a disc and tell the difference. If the owner don't talk about it -- it is a non-issue. (oops too late for the Steady Ed??) I suggest throwing that one away, telling the world about it, and starting fresh with a new Steady Ed -- this time keeping the sanding on the QT. :) Maybe this should be the don't ask-don't tell rule!!

2). There is no real data that shows you (or anyone else) can gain an advantage by sanding about on your disc. This is one rule that I have no idea WHY it exists. Who is being hurt -- or who is gaining an advantage by the dreaded act of excessively sanding?? IMHO, the rule is a bunch of un-needed words in the rule book.

3) There is no rule against the act of throwing a disc against a tree, parking lot, etc or leaving it in the sundeck of your car, or placing it in hot water, etc. ALL of which undoubtedly alter the flight characteristics. THAT IS WHY WE DO IT!! I say -- big whoop. Nobody cares. Why should we care about some sanding?

In other words, I think the TD that dis-allows your disc is rare, most rare. TD's got better things to do.

Ron

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968