www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I drag my foot when I throw, like I do in baseball. Baseball (clay) Disc Golf (concrete)! I have been through 4 pairs of shoes since April 09! Its the side topof the shoe. Any suggestions??

Views: 101

Replies to This Discussion

I do the same thing and I'm on my 3rd pair myself...any shoe tough enough to withstand that seemed to not be comfortable or athletic, so I'm looking for an answer on this question myself...otherwise, I'll just go threw a bunch of cheap walmart shoes...
I throw in a pair of Keens, They seem to hold up pretty well, I have had the same pair for 3 years

. They are just some normal hiking shoes they were about $70 but the toe is reinforce, so they have held up extremely well, and are still barely showing any signs of wear. I play 4 or 5 times a week by the way.
I drag my foot on forehands as well and so have blown out the right toes of numerous pairs of shoes. Generally I buy cheap shoes, knowing even expensive ones will not last. In my area there are discount stores (Marshall's, TJ Maxx) which peddle name brand shoes cheaply. My current pair of Salomons, I like a lot and cost around $30. The toes are holding up better than most shoes.

When I find a pair of shoes I really like, after I blow out the toe I then glue on a pitching toe. Pitching toes are sold in sporting goods stores in the baseball section. They are a thick rubber bumper and work well. The pitching toe costs about $15, so it is an economic decision whether to invest in a new toe or just buy new shoes.

In winter I wear cheap boots and screw sheet metal screws in the bottoms to make ice cleats. The forehand throwing motion is dangerous on icy tee pads and the ice cleats save some of the falls and face plants which would otherwise occur.
good idea, with the screws, I've busted my ass more than once throwing off icy concrete.
Check Out the club-- Do Your Shoes Look Like This?--We have been having this same discussion over there.
I just got those new Disc Golf Shoes from KEEN called the Milos. I'll be reporting back on how they hold out just as soon as I know! They look pretty cool and the toe has a large piece of rubber guarding it so I can't imagine them "blowing" out, but we will see. They were a little expensive but I figure you gotta support any movements that a major company makes to support our beloved sport. We are a capitalist economy so I'm voting for more products with my cash!!!
I work in the outdoor industry and have access to tons of shoes. Right now my favorite brand is Salomon, they have quite a few styles that work well for different types of feet and personal preference. All shoes also have a GoreTex option to keep your feet dry.

Sturdy trail runners (XA Pro 3D Ultra) http://www.salomon.com/us/product/xa-pro-3d-ultra.html
Mud trail runners with rubber spikes for sloppy weather (SpeedCross 2) http://www.salomon.com/us/product/speedcross-2.html
Light hikers, with beefy lugged bottoms for great traction on and off teepad (Exit Aero) http://www.salomon.com/us/product/exit-aero.html
For you folks up North braving the cold check these winter shoes out (DeeMax 2 Dry) http://www.salomon.com/us/product/deemax-2-dry.html

My favorite pair of shoes all time for disc golf are Montrail's CTC Trail Runner/Approach Shoe Hybrid, but they were discontinuned in 2008 (good thing I stocked up, I have 4 pairs). There are other types of these shoes in the market from brands like FiveTen, Kayland, LaSportiva, Patagonia and Evolve. These shoes are built for long approaches on rocky terrain and for scrambling up mountains. They have super grippy rubber on the soles and full rubber rands around the heel and toe for extreme durability when in contact with lots of rock. The translation is a great pair of lightweight durable shoes that handle concrete tee pads with easy and any other terrain you might find on the DG course.

I've been in the outdoor industry for 10 years working for brands like Mountain Hardwear, Marmot, Keen, Montrail and Salomon, hit me up with any questions. I know a lot about all outdoor brands and would be happy to help you find the perfect Jacket or Shoes that fits your needs.

Jeff
I pretty much ground right thru the right toe of every pair I ever played in... Was recommended Shoe Goo, found some on Ebay, have had the same two pairs of shoes now for 4+ years and only on my second tube. The bottoms and tops of the shoes still look good, I just keep rebuilding the right front faces when needed. They usually last a month or two of normal play, depending on how many forehands I throw and the severity of the concrete... It's pretty cheap stuff compared to the cost of new shoes. The trick to smoothing it out is a round toothpick soaked in water and kept damp as you work the goo around where you want it. It pretty much dries overnight or an afternoon in the sun, ready to go the next day. Give it a try, it sold me....

Wouldn't it be easier to just not drag your foot.

How can you have a smooth flow if a foot is dragging or slowing you down.

Pick up your foot and let it flow in a uniformed direction, like a ballerina,

versus do your approach and rut, rutt, rutta of the foot.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968