www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

What is the chemical composition of a disc? How much carbon, if any, is locked up inside of one? What does it decompose into and over what length of time? What do the products of decomposition do to the environment? Can old discs be recycled? What are the best ways of re-using old discs?

Tags: decomposition, discs, materials, re-use, recycle, science

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

As oil becomes more and more scarce the value of recycled plastics will increase. All plastics can be recycled, but it's a matter of whether or not it is cost effective to do so. I'm pretty sure the chemical compositions are widely varied based on type and brand of disc. The interesting thing about disc golf is that we are considered to be some of the most environmentally conscious athletes and yet we tend to leave behind the most sports-related material over time.
Terry,
Discgolfological Society - did you think to enter that in the group DISCTIONARY ? I didn't find it in Webster's. what a great word
Maybe contact a Golf Disc company, INNOVA for example, and see if there is a possibility to recycle old discs.

another option...
I haven't read into it yet, but a quick Google search turned a few sites up, INCLUDING this ONE:
GoPolymers
they apparently BUY SCRAP PLASTICS, POLYMERS, ETC. or help find someone who will.
Clubs across the country could all collect and stock pile their old discs, then sell them to help club funds... this could be a great, great thing.. I'll update as I get more info
I wonder if they could be ground and used around playgrounds like they do with old tires, i think all the different colors would look great. Or could they some how be recycled into rubber tee pads for future disc golf courses?
I appreciate these perspectives and share the interests in our environment. And, I too have many questions about the science behind disc golf, including the chemical and physical characteristics of disc makeup and flight.

However, we should also take into consideration simply trying to pass our old discs along to those who haven't yet played. Reuse before recycle. Not only will it help grow the sport, but should also put a smile on people's faces.

We can and should still recycle broken discs, so I'm still interested in learning about all our recycling options for all materials.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968