Hey all, I got excited after the Virginia Team Invitational to plan another DITCH. Scott and I were talking a lot about the goods and bads of the first tourney, and we'd like to make some changes to make it easier on us and easier on the teams. As such, here are a few ideas:
1. One day event piggy-backed onto a sanctioned event next day. Preliminary searching indicates that holding a DITCH on Sunday, May 11 at Albion, the day after the Sasquatch Open at Oshtemo, would be a good option. Albion is about 20 miles from Oshtemo, it's a good practice for Worlds and the two tournies could play off each other to increase participation. It is also a very centralized location for teams from the east side, west side, Lansing, GR, Indiana and even the Chi-boys.
2. TEAMS OF 4 PLAYERS. The old DITCH required 7 players including a woman, but we found that to be challenging for captains and it tended toward elitism, garnering Michigan's top pros and ams while pushing out the Am 2s and others. The new DITCH would have the following parameters:
4 SEED: 1 player under 900. If you get a woman on your team, she can play the 4 spot with any rating (so if you can get Val, you've got a 4 spot with a 960 rating).
3 SEED: 1 player under 935
2 SEED: 1 player under 970
1 SEED: Any rating.
3. We will eliminate the points system and go only by Team wins and losses and ties. So perhaps 6 points for a Team Win, 2 Points for a Team Tie and zero for a loss. Much easier to score for us the TD's and less confusion at lunchtime and after.
4. We could accomodate as many as 16 teams of 4 players divided into 4 random divisions. Before lunch you'd play 3 matches of 9 holes against each team in your division (so no shuffling around between holes b/c you are all together the entire time). According to team records, we then seed the 16 teams bracket-style with single elimination matches after lunch (so 1 plays 16, 2 plays 15, etc. Tie-breakers would come down to a point system based on holes won perhaps). The winning team and 2nd-place teams would play as many as 4 matches after lunch, but if we did this on May 11, we would have plenty of daylight.
5. Entry would most likely be less expensive at $80 per team, or $20 per player. If we fill that would be a total purse of $1280, pretty respectable, especially divided amongst 4 teammates. Paying to 3, that would be something like $160 to each player for 1st, $100 for 2nd and $60 for 3rd.
Wellll........what do you guys think??????
This club does not have any discussions yet.