www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I would like to know why you like the buzz compared to a roc?

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

I started with the buzz because it was available in a dyed disc but fell in love with it because of the predictable releases I get. The roc doesn't feel right tends to hang up during release.
This is a trick question.

Do any of you remember the movie, My Cousin Vinny, where Marissa Tomei, uses this line??

A Buzzz is a Roc. Hold up a Buzzz next to a Roc and look closely. Hold up a Wasp next to a Buzzz and a Roc.

Now blindfold a player and hand them a Roc, Buzzz and Wasp and give them the Pepsi challenge.

The best Rocs ever made are the first run candy (USDGC) CE Rocs and the Dx Ching Rocs. Why? They are overstable and flat-topped. The CE Rocs are even made of indestructible candy plastic. Look at a box of new Rocs. They are all domey (except the CE's and the Chings). They are made that way on purpose. Look at a box of Buzzz's. Some are domey, some are flat -topped. They are made that way on purpose because players differ in their preferences.

The best Discraft Roc ever made is the next one you buy but it will be called a Buzzz or Wasp. The Buzz and Roc are the same top but the Wasp has a bead on the bottom which makes it a bit more overstable.

So if they are the same then why is the Buzzz the best Roc??? Because you can get a candy Buzzz off the shelf from any place that sells them($15-20). You can get a CE Roc from EBAY for $500. You can buy a Ching Roc at standard rates but it is not candy plastic. It is DX (standard) plastic. If you hit a tree with it, it tacos. Ever time you smack it good it changes it flight pattern- or maybe not-but you don't know for sure and can't completely trust it. Candy plastic lasts for years before it begins to slowly break in.

If you buy the disc from me you can get it cheaper than that and you can test it before you buy it. There is a Buzzz or Wasp in some plastic (Z, ESP or FLX) that you will love. And if you lose it, you can replace it without cashing in your retirement funds.

As noted elsewhere, the only real challenge is replacing a broken in Buzzz. In which case, good luck, baby.
I agree with Mark. I started with a roc years ago and love them but have just taken them out of my bag because I like the esp and flx plastic from Discraft better. I have a esp Meteor, z Buzzz, flx Buzzz and z Wasp in my bag now. I love the feel of those discs, the release and the performance is slightly better than the Roc, et collection I had. Plus, it seems I can get the quality plastic I want from Discraft at reasonable prices a lot easier than Innova.
Don't get me wrong, still like those old discs, but I like the way the newer Discraft feels and flies.
Buzzzes are just cooler
Now that you mention Marissa Tomei, What were we talking about?
Oh yeah, why the buzzz is better than a Roc.
I've found the Discraft plastic is much more durable and keeps it's characteristics longer.
The FLX BUZZZ is the most controllable disc I've ever thrown. I don't have a big D arm, so the FLX BUZZZ helps my game by giving me super accuracy with my up shots.
I've had several Rocs and they just never seem to be as reliable as a Buzzz.

My doubles partner recently bought a couple of those expensive Roc's, He's thrown them once or twice and immediatly went back to his Buzzz. We played a doubles game recently with only 1 Buzzz and a putter and beat our last score(with full bags) by 4 strokes.
Also I recently played with a couple of the area pros and my Buzzz ended up parked even closer on several of the holes than their Rocs did. It was a good showing for an old fart Am with a Buzzz. Most everybody in this area is "Innova only" so it's a blast showing them what a Buzzz can do!!!!
Because it is a Buzzz! Duhh
the buzzz is better than the roc for a couple reasons, the buzzz's shape of the lip allows it to fly straighter, farther , faster, and it just feels smoother and hard to say , more solid then a roc on the release.....thats my opinion
The esp buzz seems to be faster and have much better glide then the KC Roc to me
I agree with Mark, the price for a CE Roc is ridiculous for its use.....they should just start printing more candy Rocs!!! Even if I did however, I would still use a Buzzz instead of a Roc just because I'm so used to the idea of throwing one.

mark ellis said:
This is a trick question.

Do any of you remember the movie, My Cousin Vinny, where Marissa Tomei, uses this line??

A Buzzz is a Roc. Hold up a Buzzz next to a Roc and look closely. Hold up a Wasp next to a Buzzz and a Roc.

Now blindfold a player and hand them a Roc, Buzzz and Wasp and give them the Pepsi challenge.

The best Rocs ever made are the first run candy (USDGC) CE Rocs and the Dx Ching Rocs. Why? They are overstable and flat-topped. The CE Rocs are even made of indestructible candy plastic. Look at a box of new Rocs. They are all domey (except the CE's and the Chings). They are made that way on purpose. Look at a box of Buzzz's. Some are domey, some are flat -topped. They are made that way on purpose because players differ in their preferences.

The best Discraft Roc ever made is the next one you buy but it will be called a Buzzz or Wasp. The Buzz and Roc are the same top but the Wasp has a bead on the bottom which makes it a bit more overstable.

So if they are the same then why is the Buzzz the best Roc??? Because you can get a candy Buzzz off the shelf from any place that sells them($15-20). You can get a CE Roc from EBAY for $500. You can buy a Ching Roc at standard rates but it is not candy plastic. It is DX (standard) plastic. If you hit a tree with it, it tacos. Ever time you smack it good it changes it flight pattern- or maybe not-but you don't know for sure and can't completely trust it. Candy plastic lasts for years before it begins to slowly break in.

If you buy the disc from me you can get it cheaper than that and you can test it before you buy it. There is a Buzzz or Wasp in some plastic (Z, ESP or FLX) that you will love. And if you lose it, you can replace it without cashing in your retirement funds.

As noted elsewhere, the only real challenge is replacing a broken in Buzzz. In which case, good luck, baby.
Because if you have a roc you say "I carry a Roc", if you have a Buzzz you say "I have a Buzzz". I don't know about you but I rather have a buzz, then carry a rock. lol (I can hear the lame drum roll now after a bad joke.)
Buzzes are just better for economical reasons and because you can get them in many different plastics.
Although the Buzzz can be Domey or Flat topped.. The specific plastic can also determine which one you will get.
The 1st runs, Midnights, and FLX buzzzes are all flat top and the Midnights and FLX, IMHO, are almost identical in flight to the 1st runs. I can't say anything about the 2nd 1st run as I've never thrown them, but I think the FLX is the best of all of them.
The Z will come either flat or domey, but even their flat tops aren't the same as a 1st run/flx/midnight.
The D seems to come flat top and/or it will flatten with time. This is a great alternative to waiting a long time for your FLX/Midnight to break in.

Although I do like Rocs I carry only Buzzzes in my bag. I Don't get the same release with a ROc as a I Do a buzzz and that's also why I don't carry a Wasp either. I like the beadless and super flat profile of the Buzzz. I also used to carry 2 Champ Stingrays So I like the feel of the Buzzz because of this.

Economically you can buy a consistent Buzzz almost every time for the same price every time. You don't have to worry about trying to find a Certain Buzzz in a rare plastic unless you truly only prefer to throw the 1st run. Since they have reproduced that specific mold/feel 3 times since then it is less costly to find that "perfect buzzz". CE Rocs still aren't cheap even the more recent ones and they seem to change in flight and feel from run to run. I've been an Innova player mostly as all of my other discs are Innova, but I appreciate the fact that all the Discraft discs I have thrown have been consistent from run to run. This is something that Innova isn't very good with in my opinion. When I used to throw Beasts I went through 4 different champ beasts and each one was completely different than the other in flight characteristics.

Sorry for the rambling, but that's what I think of the question :)

-Scott Lewis
South Jersey Disc Golf Concepts
Started with rocs and loved em just everytime I hit a branch, twig, fly in the air it just drops. I thrown my buzzz threw bushes and it still went straight!

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968