www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am relatively new to disc golf (hence this club). My game has been improving, but I'm a little hung up. I've been using a lighter 164g champion beast, but have been getting a lot of turnover lately. I've tried more overstable discs, but can't seem to get a straight flight - it's a heizer fest. Any suggestions for something - either a disc or technique - that could help me out?

Views: 10

Replies to This Discussion

i found as my throw go better or stronger a heavier disc would alleviate this also try a power grip look at innova's website for more info on this
try a pro starfire or a valkyrie... or a leopard might be a good choice also... and get on youtube watch the discraft clinics and the tips from the super pros it helps
Hey schortie,
You are so right, those darn discs do not want to fly straight. They will turn left. They will turn right. They just do not want to go straight. But this rule applies to drivers more than midranges. Some midranges want to fly straight and will fly straight for the majority of the flight path, once you learn them.

These semi-magical discs are called Buzzzes and Rocs. Other manufacturers have their versions of these discs as well but I am not nearly as familiar with them.

Find a Roc or a Buzzz in candy plastic (it lasts forever and does not change even when you smack stuff) in the middle weight range (170-75 grams) and learn how to throw it with solid snap and flat. It will go straight until the very end of its flight. With practice it will fly dead nuts straight the whole way.

Learning a midrange will teach you a lot about the game. Oddly enough the disc will teach you. It knows what to do. As soon as you learn it you will, too. Once you can throw a midrange flat your drivers will be much easier to throw flat as well.
It sounds as if you got a couple things going here. 1-The disc is getting broken-in and therefore becoming less over stable. This happens to all discs as they wear. Your "Beast" may be becoming under stable depending on how beat-up it is.
2-You are providing more "snap" (spin rotation) as you continue to improve your throwing technique. The faster the spin, the more over stable a disc needs to be to compensate for the increased rotation. My suggestion would be to adjust your release angle (hyzer - anhyzer) to accomodate the disc charactaristics.
Try giving your over stable discs a lot of anhyzer and they should fly in a S-curve pattern. Your under stable discs should be released with a lot of hyzer and they will flatten out and continue to glide straight.

Keep throwing and it will all come together. I suggest you get a Wraith (star plastic), it is a slightly over stable long distance disc that should give you several years of consistancy. The Wraith is my favorite disc and has been my longest throw of a measured 340ft. I believe every bag should contain at least 1 Wraith.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968