www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This is my first year running tourney's, and I'm just looking for any pointers you all could offer a first year TD. I have two tourneys set up so far. One for fun, (well, they're always for fun!) Another to benefit a local children's hospital. Everything is going quite smoothly, just wondering if there is any advice to be offered.

~Thanks, Dave T.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Have fun and remember you will NOT make everyone happy. Just do the best you can.
The AM players always prefer to chose what they win. Do not just give them a handful of discs (they may not throw any of the stuff) set up a prize table with vouchers so they can pick what discs they want. Always post payouts with visible math so everyone can see where the $$ went to. I always have this up before the start of the last round. Good luck & have fun.
Obsess over the balance sheet (the money) prior to the event so that you can not worry about money on the day of the event. :) If you are like me, you are looking for a personal net-zero event. You don't want to unepxpectedly be out another $500 from your own pocket, nor do you want to find that you an extra $500 laying around afterwards.

So obsess over the books prior. :)
Thanks for all the advice so far!!
Mike, we have never used vouchers. How much inventory do you need to do this? How do you keep from ending up with a bunch of stuff no one wants?
i Second this one, it is the job that everyone could have done better but they never want to step and take the lead.
bill contact a group of guys who run Solstice Disc Sports
E-mail Address(es):
eatsleepdisc@hotmail.com

they do the voucher systems for tournaments, these guys did the TN state tour finals I believe the guys were pleased they also do online registration.
only drawback to this method is that in events with lots of persons who prize (some of our events have 80 to 200 players) the time that is spent in players going through the payout plastic and cashing in the vouchers takes forever and on a Sunday afternoon / evening everyone including the staff wants to go home and shower and crash.
You still will find that with the voucher system that some players are impossible to please some want max weight some want 150 class and discraft players do not want Innova and vice versa.
Prepackaged prize packs are not perfect but the players can always trade amongst themselves in the parking lot and the staff can wrap up and go home.
Dave,

The key to TDing is planning ahead and keeping things simple with consistency!
I use Solstice for registration. ChrisP is a good guy.

But when someone else does the prizes, you are giving profits away that you or your club could be making.
We usually pay out 160%+ using our own stock with no sponsorship money added. We could not do that using an outside vendor. Plus we sell discs year round with profits going back into our courses.
I understand I was just letting you guys know that there are other options out there and they do help simplify the event procedures.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968