www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This is my first year running tourney's, and I'm just looking for any pointers you all could offer a first year TD. I have two tourneys set up so far. One for fun, (well, they're always for fun!) Another to benefit a local children's hospital. Everything is going quite smoothly, just wondering if there is any advice to be offered.

~Thanks, Dave T.

Views: 3

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Dave,

Start early lining up sponsors. Get as many reliable helpers as you can and delegate each a certain task. Use the PDGA Tournament Directors Checklist (PRICELESS). If you have food, get a friend or wife or husband who doesn't play to take responsibilty for the cooking and serving. If you have the funds, get your helpers Tee-Shirts that say STAFF on them. It lets your helpers know you care and instills pride. Remember you can't make everyone happy all the time. If players have complaints, listen and learn for your next event, but don't let their complaints get you down. Remember, you're important, without you running the event there might not be any tournament play.

There are countless other things to do, but sponsors and helpers will make your events run smoother.

Wobbly Bob
Hi Mark, I'd like to know what Flight Life is? I'm assuming some kind of side contest at a tourney.

Wobbly Bob
Flight life is an alternative to CTPs. In the second round, best score on each card wins the flight life. For divisions with great disparity (e.g. juniors), it becomes most improved on the card. The idea is that it even gives those on the last card something to shoot for.
Every TD should print out all the OB's and special conditions and supply to every single player. At the very least the printout should be with every scorecard. This is important for several reasons. First, not everyone pays attention at the players meeting. Having it all in writing prevents you from having to talk for 10 minutes at the player's meeting (at which point they stop listening). Players have a reference during the round to double check rulings. Also, if there are deaf disc golfers at your event, they are included.

As for merchandising at the event. If your club is already buying and selling merchandise this a great idea. That was you have an outlet for the items players do not choose. However, if your club is not regularly stocking merchandise, this can be a nightmare. It is quite alright to pick and choose the discs and prizes you want to award the players. I try to stick to the latest releases and you can never go wrong with max weight putters. Even if these are not the player's brand or weight or color, they are easy enough for the players to trade. I encourage you to give light weight plastic to the ladies and beginner friendly discs to the lower divisions. The top Advanced players never seem to mind getting the latest greatest driver in max weight. Remember the first advice given on this thread - you can not please everyone, so do what works best for you.
Hello all.... I have say I am not officially a full TD, but I did just finish my first event as the assitant TD, and was involved in almost every aspect of running the event and setting up a temp course, getting liability insurance, filling applications, you name it! It is humbling to say the least. So thanks for all the great input you have offered dave, as it is helpful to all of us.
Big second to not having to talk and it is always to talk loud enough to get the hacky sack players attention anyway.
If things are in writing there is no "you did not say that in the meeting" comments.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968