www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

This is great! I can actually join the club where my disc golf roots began. I never got involved enough back in the day when I first started playing, but I was there in the fabric playing at old SSU and Crane Creek.....

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

Either I forgot or didn't realize you started playing here. We're still working with the county to get a course back in at Crane Creek, but they continue to drag their feet. I'm pretty sure it will happen, but to say when that will be, really hard to say.

Unfortunately the old SSU course is gone, in fact they have just finished cutting down all the eucalyptus trees that lined the road. Will try to download picture later.
I started playing at Doyle Park in Santa Rosa with whamo freestyle frisbees in the Late 1970's/ early 1980's. Some of the guys from SSU would come over to the park because they heard there was a course there... Well it was all obstacles and we played right through groups of picnicers etc... So they could not throw their golf discs, well we ended up going out to Crane Creek and SSU from time to time. I went into the army and stopped playing for years, and started playing again after a long break at SSU with real golf discs when I worked at the Rohnert Park Hewlet Pakard plant from 1995 to1998. We had our own course on campus with obstacles and one basket. The facility manager bought us all a three disc starter pack! Then I moved up to Chico to finish by B.S. and wouldn't you know it I hear form my own brother that the course at SSU is going to be removed. My brother was the project manager on the dorm project and was in charge of removing the 9 holer at SSU.... The course I started on and got my very first Ace... I can't wait to play Crane Creek again. the Sonoma County Regional Parks department sends me emails whenever something happens. I also occaisionally bug them about getting it done!
Dude, you're so old skool!!! It's possible we may have crossed paths on the ole SSU course, I started playing out there in 1995/96. Took a break in '97, but came back and never looked back. I aced #8 also, along with 12 and 13. 12 was a dink shot, but an ace nonetheless. I was there taking pictures while we took the old course out, I wasn't all too happy with the school for doing it, but it was a 'temporary' course that lasted for 9 years.

Regarding single basket course at Hewlett Packard, not sure if you heard, but HP sold the facility to investors who've turned it into a "Global Village". Some of the local guys started using the basket for practice until it got swiped. Turns out the person who stole it tried to sell it a guy who, when told where it was stolen from, remembered playing a tournament with me and looked me up. I have yet to pick it up and bring it back, but I know where it is and it is safe. Crazy, eh?

As for Crane Creek, please do reply back to those emails and inquire about the course, in fact tell others, and remember to tell them where you're from. We're hoping that they will see the course will bring people from out of town and help the local economy. When the course gets in, it'll be different then the way it was, they gave us only certain areas of the park to use, but it'll be just as challenging or more.
That is cool. We have alot more in common than I ever knew! I worked in facilities management at HP and was getting back into disc golf and ended up turning the Maintenance manager on to disc golf. They actually paid me to do a layout for the proposed course on AutoCad! We would play on the HP campus when we were crunched for time, and would play at SSU on "extended lunch breaks" when we had time.

Another coincidence is the fact that back in July of 2006 I looked up the contact for the regional parks and emailed a lady named Karen Davis-Brown

KDAVIS2@sonoma-county.org

The following is that first email:

Hi Mark,
Thank you for your inquiry into the Disc Golf Course at Crane Creek. I apologize for my delay in responding to you. Out of respect for Kevin Parkhurst I needed to write to him first and let him know where we're at with the course.

I was able last week to finally meet with the managers here at Parks and discuss the project. They/we have agreed to hold a public meeting aobut the disc course in the park in early Sept. I will be putting up the public meeting notice in the park this week and the date will be included on that notice. When that date and time has been decided I will also e-mail that to you.

There are still a few things that need to happen before the course will have final approval.

* The public meeting
* A maintenance agreement between parks and the Disc Golf Organization
* A Notice of Exemption (formal environmental document) filed for the course

Regional Parks staff is working to accomplishing these task to a approve a course in Crane Creek Regional Park.

Again I will e-mail you the date and time of the public meeting for the course later this week when an exact date and time has been established. And I will look forward to seeing you and all the disc golf supporters out there. Thanks

Based on her response, I was happy to see it got some action and she contacted Kevin. Since then I have also been in contact with Kevin as well. I would be happy to send out another message and I put her email address here in case anyone else needs it.

Hole #8 SSU - first ace on a basket !
Sweet, I heard last year from an old UFO friend James Costa, that something was moving forward at Crane Creek. Thanks for the info Senior. I will be contacting Karen also.
I grew up in Petaluma, and graduated from PHS in 1974. I moved to the "Friendly City" and attended SRJC. At the time, I remember SSU was called Frisbee U. I had no interest at the time. Football was my sport.
Not untill 1992, did I discover disc golf at Crane Creek. I put my golf clubs aside, and learned (it took some time) to relax and enjoy my new found passion. I started hanging out with people that I would have never given the time of day. My new sport and friends mellowed me out,....a bit. This was a pivot point in my life.
I will help out in everyway that I can to get Crane Creek back and flowing again.
Hey Craig, thanks for contacting Parks and Rec in Sonoma county, I know you've done wonders in the Lake Tahoe region and will always remember playing all of the tournaments held during the Tahoe Series back in 2000.

Anyway, quick update on Crane Creek. They did have a public meeting where several of "us" showed up along with one couple, who were neighbors to the course. They wanted to know what disc golf was about and, I think, may have had an issue with the former course. Thankfully, they did not formally oppose the course, which means no opposition was made at this public meeting. Also, just at the end of the meeting, the mayor of Rohnert Park showed up to show his support, that was huge, though it doesn't seem like that now.

Things seem to appear to have stagnated and I'm not sure where the hold up is. I sent an email to the director of volunteer efforts to see if he knew of anything and that was March 13th. He was the contact that Kevin Parkhurst was given. I have not gotten a reply back. Tonight, I forwarded the same email to Karen, hoping she will reply.

I think it is time that we start asking the disc golf community to inquire about this course and show this organization that we are for real.
Craig and Greg... I will get to emailing about the CC course. Hopefully we can all go to a tournament someday up there. That would be huge!
I heard back from the contact person, John Ryan. The licencing agreement should be ready by the end of April, or begining of May, then construction can begin. Sounds like Kevin has gotten it done.
Kevin Parkhurst, you are my hero!
Fellas, my name is Jake and I live in Sebastopol. If you need any help at all with the Crane creek course hit me up! I would be glad to be part of the construction. Thanks in advance for your efforts.
Jake

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968