www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

if so then how?

Views: 1015

Replies to This Discussion

Of all the DX plastic i have dyed... i have never successfully gotten it to take dye. I have let a DX disc sit at the bottom of a barrel full of rit black... and NADDA... maybe a slight grey tint, maybe. A champion disc... its black! This is a good way to freshen up an old champion disc also... Soak it in black for a couple days. Everyone will be like, WOA you have a black wraith! WOOT!

:D
I have heard that DX will not take any known dye. I have never even tried because of this. I guess that you are confirming that.
I have not done so myself, but I think this might work:

add acetone to your dye/water mix, might help penetrate the HARD plastic... just a guess though.. will be trying it out soon
I was curious and made a mix using RIT black dye (powder) and only acetone as the base. I made it really thick and masked off some diamonds on the back of a yellow DX Archangel. I did timed settings using a brush to put the dye on and then cold water rinse when the time was up.

Here is the result:

If you can't read the labels, from left to right:
Top Row - 5 sec, 30 sec, 1 min, 5 min
Bottom Row - 30 minutes

Without the mask:

So I'm guessing RIT and Acetone isn't the way to dye DX =) It just made a smeared stain.
good attempt, BUT
I think you missed the MOST IMPORTANT PART: HEAT, especially with hard plastic... I would dilute the acetone though.. fire hazard
oh, and i think you want 15+ minutes no matter what plastic...
I'll give it a try with heat. I put acetone in my dying bowl and then boiled water and dye and poured it into the bowl. Mix is about 2 parts water to 1 part acetone. I'm floating the disc (no masking, my vinyl isn't "premium" so the acetone would eat through it) and I'll leave it in and see what happens =) I don't have a heat source for my dying bowl and I don't think it would be very safe for me to heat the acetone, so I hope it stays hot enough to work.
Meh, results not that great. After an hour its just stained a little. Dye still had steam coming off of it so I think it was heated OK.

Here is a before:

And after:

DX plastic isn't what I would consider a hard plastic at all. Anyone else want to try it?
i will be trying some attempts after the 'ol nine-to-five... thanks for trying, reduces my attempts :)
Careful with the acetone on DX it will eat that plastic too DX just dosent take the dye well at all I have tired it many ways and My KC Roc dyes but not well I did one about 3 years ago and now you can see the BAt on the under side of the disc and the cloro dosent come out well. Acetone starting to melt a ffriend of mines DX ROC had to rush it to the sink to wash it off
That's too bad to hear about the DX plastic. I picked up an Innova Beast in DX and had a great design to tie into it.
I just dyed some discs and a dx did not hold. I used scarlet on a white disc and it turned a dirty peach. The star turned out the elite x was good and the pro also was a success.
I tried it with a white disc and here are my results.( Scarlet RIT)
Attachments:

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968