www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hey all, I am trying to dye a Cryztal Buzz with some RIT and it just won't stay after I rinse when it drys. Any suggestions on helping the color bleeed into the plastic?

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

are you using liquid or powdered rit? i'd suggest powdered. what are you dissolving the rit in? if you're using water than i'd suggest letting it sit for hours, even overnight. You can also dissolve the rit in acetone (i hear nail polish remover is strong enough) that should make the dye take in a matter of seconds. i did a cryztal buzzz so i know it works.
I am using liquid this time as I could not find the color I was looking for in powdered at my local shop. I was using a small amount of acetone, guess I'll up the acetone ratio a bit. Thanks.
how'd it work out?
not too well. The acetone ate away the vinyl I was using for a mask, so I had to start over. I have a new idea that was thrown my way that I will be trying. Putting on the liquid Rit and then baking at 170 for 15 minutes. We shall see how it works tomorrow.
The baking worked well. I would definately recommend sticking to the other plastics. This one is difficult and the colors are not as bright either.
where's the picture?
Don't use liquid RIT, or that Dylon stuff. Powdered RIT is the only way to go.
I have misplaced my USB port for my camera. When I find it, I will upload it ASAP.

Ok I found my port. So here it is. I will be using a darker blue next time rather than a royal blue.
Isn't one supposed to use simmering hot water to dye discs in? The heat is supposed to help melt the plastic and set the dye in. The longer you leave the disc in the dye, the deeper the color will be.
I use liquid and powder rite and both work I take the powder and disolve it into water then heat the water and let the disc float on top of it my colors come out real quick. Unless you are using a high grade of vinly the acetone will eat it. I use regular contact paper and cut right on the disc no need for transfer tape clear contact paper and a exzacto knife
i use the liquid and the powder. both work really well. i heat the dye up in a pan that a disc will fit in and then once it starts to boil i turn the heat down a lil. put your disc face down and let sit for about 20-30 seconds and rinse is hot water. i repeat the process untill i get the color i want. if you would like to see some pictures of some of the dye jobs i have done look at lsdiscs-neileo he has some pictures of some. and i have a picture of a jimi hendrix dye that i did on my page as well.

LSDISCS-Kyle Rodecap

p.s. if you are trying to do a design i use clear contact paper and an exacto knife.

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968