www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Has anyone had trouble dyeing Innova Pro plastic before? I really liked how my disc turned out, but it was supposed to be black!!!

Ok. So what I did was I mixed black rit dye powder with acetone, and poured it over my disc. I let it set for a solid 10 minutes, and then rinsed the dye off. I was dyeing an Innova Pro Rhyno. It is brand new, and still has yet to be thrown. I was trying to make it a solid black, but it turned out 'rustic' looking, or used. It's kinda cool. What's really neat is that I completely removed the stamp except for the Innova brand stamp, and now you can see the stamp again. The dye, for some reason, set darker in the areas where the stamp was before I removed it. I hope t shows up in the pictures. Can anyone give me ideas for the next time I go to dye a Pro plastic? I had better luck the last time I dyed a Pro, I just hadn't done it for a year or two. Thanks everyone!!!

Views: 306

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I really like how the disc turned out, though it wasn't at all what I was trying for. Trial and error, I suppose! :)
I do the dip dye method. and dont use acetone except for stripping discs. Rit dye (powdered) and water and a little heat, is all it takes. PRo dyes alot better than what you came up with, it dx that doesnt dye well.
this is a pro katana, takes color and detail well.

This is a really stupid question, but...does the dye rinse out of the pan or stain it?
it will stain it. get some pans from a fly market.
If you use one of those blue enamel coated pans it rinses clean to use other colors, stainless steel is a little more exspensive.

I have come across this problem when dyeing Pro PUTTERS only.  I've never had an issue with drivers/midrange. I've had several Pro Birdies/Rhynos/Pigs that I couldn't get better than gray after leaving it in black extra long.  I have no idea why, but I suspect a slightly different plastic formulatioin from (the ever inconsistent) Innova.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968