instead of using the boiling water technique with just water I used a full package of RIT with 2.5 cups of water and a 1 cap full of acetone. Right after the dye shows it's first bubble of boil, I drop the disc into the mixture then I remove from heat and float the disc for about 10 minutes.
This is my first dye batch that I did last weekend. Forgot the damn discs on my table before a local monthly - DOH! Could have used em in the wind too...
I'm pretty amazed at how simple it is to dye, you've just got to have the patience to cut out the stencils. My two favorites are the claw marks (stolen from Monster energy drinks) on the Champ Beasts, and a Phoenix (Go Elon University!) on my Champ Wraith.
I had today off and it rained all day so i dyed two discs and might do a third before the night is threw (yes i know).
I thought I'd try something else with the red Orc (Jersey Pride!) - I wrote my name on it with a crayon before dying, figuring wax repels water. It gave a cool weathered look to it, I may try a whole design that way the future. I'm also going to look for one of those wax pencils that we used to write on the beakers in chemistry class.
I used some pin-striping tape for the Polaris. tape always bleeds for me. I had to untape the whole thing before I had finished with my whole plan but I really like the way it turned out anyway. I'm a little afraid of it being to camouflage colored though so i may go back and hit some of the thin lines with red or orange to help it stand out.