www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I just started dying yesterday and gotta say after I completed my first two discs I was hooked, new designs are about all I can think of in some of my classes lol Heres my first two (minus my couple practice ones playin around) Vader and Marley
Photobucket
Photobucket

I hand cut the stencils onto a sign vinyl that I covered with blue painters tape before cutting. I did this once I realized how much of a pain that stuff is to handle on its own, so sticky and flexible. The masking tape just made it easier to handle when you peel off the backing.
I'm really interested in adding some different color detail and I think i've got it at least a little figured out, start with dark colors and remove sections of the vinyl to add new colors. I keep seeing something about acetone and rit dye being mixed to apply it to the disc... I think this could make it work like actual painting?? does anyone do this?
If anyone has any suggestions for things I could do or try that would be greatly appreciated!

Jeremy

Views: 50

Replies to This Discussion

when you run out of vinyl get contact paper. Its a lot cheaper and works really well. I have yet to use acetone with rit but I have heard about others doing it. I have also heard that the acetone reacts with some plastics so be careful. Another great masking tool is Elmers Glue ( check out attached link). The swirl was done using the glue. Good luck on everything.

http://discgolfer.ning.com/photo/pulse-1?context=user
Cool, Thanks for the advice! I've heard that contact paper gets some bleed problems that can be avoided with sign vinyl? I'll probably check it out regardless, that sign vinyl can get pricey! I'm definitely gonna be playin around with new methods and such, it's addicting as hell! I'm surprised at people wantin to pay for this stuff already! A friends girlfriend wants to drop 30 on my marley!? Not sure if I wanna part with one of my firsts though, I wouldn't even throw the damn thing at league...

Jeremy

Cassidy Mayne said:
when you run out of vinyl get contact paper. Its a lot cheaper and works really well. I have yet to use acetone with rit but I have heard about others doing it. I have also heard that the acetone reacts with some plastics so be careful. Another great masking tool is Elmers Glue ( check out attached link). The swirl was done using the glue. Good luck on everything.

http://discgolfer.ning.com/photo/pulse-1?context=user
I do get some bleeds once in a while with contact paper but that's when I'm rushing the job. With contact paper you need to use a credit card and go over the whole thing making sure their are no air bubbles near any of the cuts. When your done go over it again. As for your friend I can dye just about anything she wants. Ive got a few Innova discs left that are for sale that I can dye.
After you place your stencil on hte disc, turn your xacto knife over and use hte hard, dull edge and make sure to rub around the edge or the cut, basically sealing this to the disc. Prevents runs.
Tino "SilverBack" Medina said:
After you place your stencil on hte disc, turn your xacto knife over and use hte hard, dull edge and make sure to rub around the edge or the cut, basically sealing this to the disc. Prevents runs.

I do basicly the same thing but I use the edge of a credit card and my thumb for smaller more detailed areas. I only use acetone for stamp removal, just RIT and water for me. Sign vinyl is over rated... walmart contact paper does a great job
I'll have to pick some of that up for my next disc! I just finished this guy
Finished product!
I was thinkin about doin a couple different colors on it, like a red background with a yellow nuke explosion kind of small and to the right. I thought about just masking the explosion and dyeing the entire disc red then taking it off and dipping the whole thing in yellow, would that ruin the red or just make it more of an orange?
Sorry! didn't see you both already posted in the other message, I forgot i posted at all there! Thanks for the info!

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968