www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

lets hear about the worst winter conditions you have played in, and will you do it again.

Tags: cold, disc, snow, winter

Views: 6

Replies to This Discussion

it was february 2006 the arctic blast doubles tournament in rockford, il. over 8 inches of snow on the ground and it was 15 below 0 with the windchill. it was a long brutal day in the cold and wind but it was fun and worth it. i dont know if i would go out when its that cold again, but i'll do it at least 1 time.
Man, we don't get stuff like that.

Except for the ice storm a little while back. That was pretty serious.

I haven't played in the snow but two or three times. And that is pretty good around this area I think. (Tulsa Oklahoma)

If you like to fish, join my fishing club!

I would love to hear about how guys up north, as I assume you are, fish.
I live have always lived in Michigan. Right now, I live in north western Michigan where we get a lot of snow. Our course here in Big Rapids is surrounded by snowmobile trail routs if that tells you anything. Look at my pics and videos there are a few from last winter. Last year a few times we had 15-20" consistently, but the snow gets layered because it snows more than it melts so you end up walking on top of the crusty old layers. You gotta love lake effect!!
I'm in Wisconsin and last winter we had lots of snow.We would play a near by course and you would stand above the baskets because the snow was so deep.I also broke a few dx discs tapping them off on the baskets because of the cold.keep your cold weather discs out side for a while before you play, it will keep the snow from sticking
I'm also in Wisconsin. When my bottle of Gatorade feezes solid by the second tee, it's cold. With the big winds we'll hit double-digit windchills below zero quite often. Heck, the straight temp is below zero more than I like. The surprising thing is that you might still find some people on the open courses.
I've played in -7 out here in MN last year. The funny thing was that my bro and I decided that was WARM and we should go play (had been -20s the whole week before). The St. Cloud Ice Bowl last year was -20 with windchills even colder. I did not attend that though. There were 50-ish people who were crazy enough to play it!

We have multiple leagues out here that play through the whole winter in Minnesota! The biggest one is a weekly league that probably averages 50 people. The course gets very well played in the winter, so sliding down the hills on a disc is rather fun.
I live in South Dakota so pretty much everyday was the worst conditions over the winter. The coldest day we went out was -25 with the windchill. That was the last time we did that until it got back to around 0. Our course had probably 2 feet of snow on it at its deepest point. Hole 15 was drifted over after our last blizzard of the year. Easily the most I ever played over the winter and Im happy I did.
The worst conditions we've thrown in(actually held a league session) was last spring. It was early April and the temps were in the mid 30's. Rain(more of a drizzle) was coming down sideways, making the moisture inescapable. Even while wearing a full rain suit 50-60% of my clothes and bag were drenched. All the moisture rendered hand warmers useless, my scorecards were a lost cause as I could not keep them dry. Wind speeds were somewhere around 20's to 30mph. The rain was actually right on the edge of becoming sleet, so it was as cold as it could possibly be as it hit you. Every time you pulled out a disc, more rain would fall in your bag and on your hands, making your hands increasingly numb. There were two extra microfiber towels I carried in my pockets and those were soaked after about seven or eight holes. This forced me to throw wet discs for half the round. Two players in the group quit after the 5th hole and one more quit on the 18th!! I have to say it was a most miserable experience indeed. I'm glad I was there; since that time it's been easier to appreciate many more types of adverse conditions.

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968