www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

First Snow round for Ypsi Dubs Winter and what a beautiful day it was. No Frost Bite Double Points but the sun was out, almost no wind and it was Chris Gee’s Birthday.
What a birthday present – Chris had the Birthday Spirit and he shared it with all of us – Thanks!

Thanks! also to Chris & Matt Schooley for clearing the tee pads again this week.

Welcome Tim Pills, Bill Dopkowski, Sean Morgan & Cassidy Mayne. What an awesome day to make it out to Ypsi Dub Winter league – great to see you guys. And we had another raid from the 24 Chains league – all the founding members were out with Cassidy in attendance this time. We missed a few other 24 Chain regulars but we will look forward to seeing them out on a future raiding party.

For the special Birthday service this Sunday we did 3 free throws for the pre-round CTP and Pat Burke took home the Ypsi Dubs Winter etched OG growler trophy. That was just the beginning of Pat’s special day….

Well the GypsiCAM was on the course this week until the essence of her powers was drained away – dead batteries – But we have several images that were recovered from her memory so you too can relive this special day with us. I have a few images to add, along with some new fangled wizardry “moving images” and I don’t mean stitched together still frames but true to life HD – until my wife learns I took the new camcorder out in the snow 2 days after getting it - Shhhhhh

OK so thirty sinners came to the Sunday Service looking for redemption. Great turn out and we were all blessed with a gorgeous day. The Ace pool jumped to $251 but with the snow and cold even playing shorts it seemed safe for another week. During the round my group heard a few hoots and hallows – but come on the 24 Chains crew is out today - then we hear some sounds that raise our ears for a second – --NAW ---the group decides – must have been close or a nice up shot – too sedate for an Ace, unless it was Pat Burke and it was. Hole 6 from the shorts – taking ½ the ace pool, $126 – Great shot! Pat

When Matt was reading off the teams you could feel the Ooohs and Aaahs as people said “Oooh - that’s a tough team”, “Aaah - Now that’s a tough team” – man what a great group and yes ever team had a shot as the random tiles laid out the teams. Both “Happy Faces” were pulled so they got paired together instead of picking their partner. Remember the conditions were moderately cold around 34 degrees, 1-2 inches of snow on the ground – not the best conditions for a hot round….

Well with the lowest score at 2 below par and half the scores at -8 or better – I’d say again, it was a pretty awesome day.

Norm Raby was flicking those laser beam side arms and took the CTP on hole 5 early on and it held the rest of the day. Nice shot and a $10 gift certificate to the Throw Shop for your efforts – Merry Christmas Norm.

How is a tie at minus 12 for the playoff for 3rd and 4th being last cash. Damon Stahlin and Nick Mucker took on Jim (JD) Daniels and Tim Pills with JD & Tim pulling out the closest to the pin and 3rd place cash. Still want more?….

How about a 41, minus 13, for a winter round. That is great! Kevin Tomasaitis and Chris Behrmann edge out the rest to take a solid second and $40 bucks.

Now I have been asked almost every round what I think will win and I wish I had a few more details recorded about the condition of each round but I can go back to when I stopped chiseling my score on stone tablets and was introduced to DiscGolfScene.com and Ypsi Dubs league began logging scores – Aug 19th of 2008 and I looked at the general stats. The last eight rounds of league were recorded with an average winning score of minus 12.75 with an average 8 teams playing each round. A special notable round was:

Tuesday, September 23, 2008
1st -15, 39, Daemon Stahlin and Foz Miller $50

Summer 2009 had 27 rounds from Mar 17th thru Sept 15th. The Average wining score was minus 11.63 with an average 15 teams per round. The big summer turn out reach 27 teams on July 7th. With the Hot round of the summer league being:

Tuesday, August 11, 2009
1st -16, 38, Bob Smart
no partner $70

Yes that’s minus 16 by Bob playing Cali – AWESOME.

Well it happened again – Yes minus 16 – in the snow – Hallelujah! Brothers and Sister.

Mike Raley & Pat Burke teamed up and threw an amazing winter round. The Ace on hole 6 helped and a CTP on hole 2 did not hurt things either. But two great players, on a great day - Great round guys. $60 for first place and some great co-bragging rights on the best league score at Rolling Hills.

Now I’m looking for a minus 17 to be the out right Ypsi Dubs League lowest score record holder. Who will it be????? Do I hear -18?????

So Pat had a pretty good day. 1st place and a league best tying score round. An Ace on hole 6 for a chuck of change. The CTP on hole 2 for a $10 gift certificate to the Throw Shop. The OG pre-round Growler CTP trophy.
And he picked up his CTP from two weeks ago – this Ypsi Dubs Winter, Layer 8, long sleeve shirt with Mike Fortunato’s Ypsi Dubs Winter logo on the back. I’d say Santa came early but no elves helped here – great disc’in Pat Burke.

Oh but probably the most important stats is held by Bob D. who is the lbs. point leader – Bob has donated the most food and others like GLane have been adding to our collection for the last few weeks. We have 11 Cans and a total of 16 lbs so far. These will go to Food Gatherers as local 101 has made Cali Dreamin' 2010 tournament an Ice Bowl – as Disc Golfers unify to make a difference. Most of us have been contributing what we can, when we can and helping in other ways when possible. But the Ice Bowl has collected these single acts of kindness into a collective army and a way to show the world what a bunch of Disc Golfers can do collectively, unified toward a worthy cause. In this case it’s helping another group of local heroes who actually make it their mission to ensure no one in our area goes without food. I just wanted to take a second to make sure we all know a little more about what was behind those cool graphics of crazy creatures playing in Winter and the words we like to cast about as we take on the challenges of another MI winter round - No Wimps - No Winners -

55,599 Lbs of food and $224,162 raised to help charities world wide. Like the growth in the number of disc golf courses, these numbers are getting noticed and most importantly make a difference in peoples lives.

2009 Ice Bowl Stats
Summary
Total $$ Raised: $224,162
Total pounds of food donated: 55,599
Total Ice Bowls reporting: 190
Total players, helpers, contributors: 7,958
Average temperature: 35.9°
Average snow on ground: 3.5"

Help me in wishing GLane a happy birthday, as he will not be with us next week but you can catch him at Ypsi Dubs Jan 3rd when he will be master of ceremony at the Ypsi Dubs Sunday Service – Chances for redemption on sale – come out and make a deal with the pastor or the devil which ever floats your disc.

The Ypsi Dubs Winter Leader Board:
Well you can image with another win by Pat and an Winter Ace with 50 points Pat Burke jumped up the leader board just a bit – How about 19 places from 21st to 2nd – Yup at 117 points Pat has jumped into 2nd place. Daemon who was in second but after adding 24 points this week takes over the top position as the leader. Bob D. grabs a few points but slips down to 3rd place at 116. JD with 24 points this weeks breaks away from his tie for 4th last week with matt Schooley and edges out GLane for sole possession of 4th. GLane takes 5th and Matt Schooley is at 6th with 82 points. Foz drops from 6th to 7th and the birthday boy Chris Gee holds on to 8th place. Terry Calhoun drops to 9th with no points this week. Ken Parks is in the house – the Top Ten house that is with a leap from 21st place to 10th way to play it ken – 22 points for this week. 67 points separate 10th from 1st and 122 from last to first as Pat showed us this week an Ace can really help your position. It’s still a battle and anyone could own the bragging rights come March.
If there were any questions about whether there will be Ypsi Dubs throughout the holidays - fear not Boys and Girls. With the help of Schooley, Schaffer & GLane we will ensure no grinch will steal holiday league rounds. So put some screws in your boots, bells on your reindeer and get a few ribbons ready for your favorite discs – cause its going to get even funnier....

In the Ann Arbor Cooperative Point Series - Yes, Pat made some significant progress up the leader board from 51st place to tied for 15th. How fitting as he is tied with his partner from Ypsi Dubs win this week – Mike Raley who moved from 18th to 15th with this weeks win. JD moves into the 10th spot and the three way tie for 7th broke up with Anslie at 9th , Foz at 8th and Ben Calhoun taking sole possession of 7th with 18 points added. GLane tied Framo (“Run in Tell That”) at 204 points – yes cresting the 200 point threshold and battling for 5th. The only change in the top 4 was the points they added. Mike Fortunato, sCAWt White, Daemon Stahlin & yes bob smart still holds on to the top spot as he lunges past the 300 point mark. 317 is first place but Daemon shaves 6 points off the spread with only a 21 point delta between 1st and 2nd. There is a 167 points spread between 10th and 1st, down from 179 from last week – pressure is on. As Pat Burke showed us the Ace can make up ground fast so get out - get some new A2CoPS disc and lets have some fun.

Happy Holiday to everyone if I don’t see ya but I hope to see you on a course over the holidays to ring the chains for the New Year – Peace!!!!

======= ICE MELT ========

A reminder to those who like to help keep the tee Pads clear and ice free - besides Thanks! - please remember to NOT use "Rock Salt" - Use Ice Melt as it is better on our courses and our planet. Some are better than others but here are the best per Iowa State University:

Calcium Magnesium Acetate (CMA) is a relatively new salt-free melting agent made from dolomitic limestone and acetic acid. It causes little damage to concrete or plants and is used as an alternative to salts in environmentally sensitive areas.

Calcium chloride (CaCl2) is available in flake, pellet, or liquid form and often outperforms other deicing
products especially at lower temperatures. It produces an exothermic reaction, giving off heat as it melts. Calcium chloride also has a greater capacity to attract and retain moisture directly from its surroundings, which enables it to dissolve faster and start the melting process.

http://www.vtgreenhotels.org/articles/deice.htm
======================

Ypsi Dubs Treasure Chest

Tags: &, -, 2009, 20th, Dec, Dubs, Pictures, Summary, Winter, Ypsi

Views: 1

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968